Details: low 60's
260 Sumner St
Director of Development
Reports to: Executive Director
ZUMIX seeks a Director of Development with a strong track record of cultivating donors, securing individual gifts and managing major fundraising events.
The Director of Development is responsible for helping to build ZUMIX’s revenue strategy, systems, and processes that will accelerate the growth of our growing and dynamic organization. The Director of Development is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing all of ZUMIX’s fundraising, including annual appeal, individual donor cultivation and stewardship, corporate giving, and fundraising events. (S)he will also oversee ZUMIX’s Development and Communications Associate who is responsible for grant writing, marketing, and communications. The Director of Development works closely with ZUMIX’s Executive Director and Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors. (S)he must be a music and arts enthusiast with excellent writing, communication, and project management skills. Enthusiasm, eagerness to serve, and sense of humor welcome.
- Work with Executive Director and Board to prepare annual budget and fundraising plan
- Track revenue projections throughout the year
- Responsible for updating and maintaining Constituent Relationship Management (CRM) database of individual donor information, including contact information, communications, gift information, personal data and future contact targets. (currently using Bloomerang.)
- Oversee monthly Donor Cultivation and Fundraising Events Committee meetings
- Provide supervision for development staff, interns, and volunteers
- Overseeing marketing efforts
- Overseeing grants
- Membership on Board Development Committee
- Supervise Development and Communications Associate including regular check-in’s
- Create and execute a strategy for growing ZUMIX’s base of individual donors, specifically in the expanding East Boston community
- Research medium and large donors and prospects
- Work with ED, Director Of Operations, Board, and Committee Chairs to coordinate and prep for in-person asks and make solicitations
- Lead ZUMIX’s Annual Appeal
- Work with Board members to strategize their personal fundraising goals
- Explore other types of individual giving including bequests, gifts of stock, etc.
- Draft all individual donor communications, including annual report, gift acknowledgments, written solicitations, programmatic updates, and event invitations.
- Work with all staff to ensure consistent messaging, language and branding.
- Work with Executive Director and Board of Directors to create a signature annual fundraising event that can achieve a six-figure revenue goal in the next 3-5 years
- Plan a calendar of annual & point of Entry events with strategies in place for follow up and donor conversion
- Solicit and grow ZUMIX’s Corporate Sponsorship program
- Serve as the lead organizer for the Walk for Music, leading and engaging ZUMIX staff, Board, volunteers, and youth in peer-to-peer fundraising while building a strong sense of community spirit
- 5 years of development experience, including donor cultivation, individual giving and fundraising events
- Demonstrated ability to grow fundraising revenue year over year
- Ability to be a strategic partner and leader among a team with diverse roles and viewpoints
- Ability to build, manage, motivate, and lead a development and marketing program to achieve high goals and maintain accountability
- Possess the skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and volunteers
- Strong project management skills and the ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks
- Desire to get out of the office and build external relationships
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple campaigns and work collaboratively
- Familiar with fundraising software like Bloomerang, Granthub, Salesforce
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Strong budgeting skills
- Bachelors degree or equivalent life experience required
- Masters degree in nonprofit administration, arts and/or music education a plus
- Strong commitment to youth development and the arts.
- Proactive approach to problem-solving
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite is a plus
- Excellent organizational skills
ZUMIX does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, clients, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, and clients.
ZUMIX is an equal opportunity employer. We offer an attractive benefits package and
professional development funds and opportunities.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter and resume as well as three professional references to Jenny M. Shulman, Director of Operations at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject, please write Director of Development followed by your last name.