Internship posted by: The Thomas Merton Center
Posted on: December 28, 2012
The Thomas Merton Center (TMC) acts as Fiscal Sponsor for a number of small projects that align with the organization's mission to create a more peaceful and just world. An internship position is available to work as the TMC Project Liaison with the Thomas Merton Centers projects. This internship would include the following activities and responsibilities. Interns will work under the supervision of the Managing Director to complete the tasks assigned to them during their semester with the Center. More information is available online at www.thomasmertoncenter.org.
1) Update Project Contact List – Contact each person listed to ascertain if the Center has the correct contact information for them.
2) Conduct Project Survey – Working with the Managing Director, create a project survey with the purpose of soliciting evaluation and feedback about the Center's working relationship with the project.
3) Complete Cost Analysis of Projects – working with Managing Director and Finance Manager, conduct a cost analysis to create a report that indicates the expenses and income related to supporting projects through the Thomas Merton Center.
4) Research Best Practice Standards for Fiscal Sponsorship Oversight – research other fiscal sponsorship organizations to find out what other mechanisms of oversight can be used to meet regulatory standards of maintaining fiscal relationships with projects through the Center.
5) Work as a Support Person with Project Committee- attends project committee meetings to support the committee in its efforts to improve the oversight function of the center. Work to support the process of new applications being reviewed and submitted through the project committee and board.
6) Solicit Project Articles for New People- work with project contact persons to solicit articles about their organizing work for the New People newspaper which is produced by the Center.
7) Contact Projects for Special Event Inclusion – contact project leads about displaying information at the Thomas Merton Award Dinner and other special events. Communicate information to them about venue and other related operations activity.
8) Research Potential Funding Support for TMC to Administer Projects – research by looking at other fiscal sponsor's revenue sources and recommend possible grant approaches that the Thomas Merton Center can pursue.
9) Act as Project Contact Person – offer to facilitate communication between the project and the Thomas Merton Center Staff.
10) Review Website to see if project information is up to date. Help solicit photos to be used as promotional material in TMC flyers and publications.
The internship will require at least an 8 hour a week commitment for at least one semester to complete. The intern will have a designated work space to complete the tasks that they are assigned to. For more information contact Diane McMahon at (412) 361-3022 or email McMahonD@thomasmertoncenter.org.