Internship posted by: UniversalGiving
Posted on: December 6, 2012
UniversalGiving™, an award-winning global social-entrepreneurship nonprofit organization,is seeking a Web Designer intern to design brand new components and redesign pre-existingcomponents for UniversalGiving's newly revamped website (http:www.universalgiving.org). Join our growing Product Development team, working together with senior management andwebsite developers, to create beautiful and effective visual designs while furthering a worthycause. UniversalGiving™ internships offer exciting opportunities to those wishing to make asignificant impact and contribution to our global communities. Join UniversalGiving and work closely with a dedicated international team, while gaining valuable skills and insight in a socialentrepreneurship nonprofit organization.
"The Product Development team at UniversalGiving is a smart, effective, and responsive group
of people. Team members constantly offer each other feedback and support. You never feel
that your work is being taken for granted. I feel very lucky to be a part of the PD team!" - Jane
Lanman, QA Intern
UniversalGiving™ is an award-winning website allowing people to donate and volunteer with top performing projects all over the world. Our projects are vetted through a proprietary Quality Model™ to ensure the most effective, trustworthy philanthropy possible. Unique to UniversalGiving, we take no cut on donations. 100% of your donation goes directly to the cause. Located in the heart of San Francisco, UniversalGiving has been profiled on CBS and in FOXBusiness Network, and has also been featured inBusinessWeekFast Company, CSRWire,
WomenEntrepreneur, Oprah.com, NBC News, The Christian Science Monitor, The New York Times, The Financial Times, MarketWatch, CNNMoney.com, Change.organd See Change Magazine. UniversalGiving™ is the 2010 winner of the Opportunity Knocks' Best Nonprofit to Work for Award.CEO Pamela Hawley is a winner of the Jefferson Award (the Nobel Prize in Community Service) and was selected as one of 50 leaders to the White House's Next Generation Leadership andSocial Innovation event. She is also a Finalist for Ernst & Young's Entrepreneur of the Year Award, and a Colburn S. Wilbur Leadership Fellow at the Global Ethics Institute. She has beenchosen as a Fast Company Expert Blogger on CSR.
This is an unpaid internship with a commitment of 10-20 hours per week for 3 to 4 months (4 months preferred). Ideal candidates are available to work in our downtown San Francisco office.
● Recommend visual design changes for new website components and existing interfaces experienced by thousands of internet viewers around the world
● Implement design improvements that visually captivate our users and increase our results
● Create visual concepts and engaging visual designs that build upon the consistency, quality, usability, and branding of our website
● Work with senior leadership to prioritize efforts, finalize solutions, deliver results, document key information, and manage projects through to completion
● Contribute to strategic and tactical product planning
● Research and provide astute recommendations on web design standards/guidelines.
● Collaborate with our product development team to deliver with quality and efficiency
● 1+ years experience
● Understanding of basic software development concepts, software testing life cycles, and the Agile process
● Knowledge of open source concepts, relational databases, web technologies, the DOM, and cross-browser compatibility issues
● Experience creating and updating designs in Adobe Photoshop
● An eye for clean, elegant frontend web design and UI
● Strong commitment to usability and user experience
● Meticulous attention to detail
● Passion for visual design of internet websites
● Strong desire to both expand pre-existing design ideas and create new designs from scratch
● Ability to effectively collaborate and clearly communicate (written and verbal) with others
● Proactive team player who thrives with a small team in a fast-paced environment
● Interest in nonprofit work, international issues, philanthropy
● Full support of the mission and vision of UniversalGiving™
● Experience with Responsive Web Design, a big plus
● Experience with web APIs with knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, and other social media web APIs
● Applied, hands-on experience owning and leading design projects for a global website
● Experience working at a global, social-entrepreneurship nonprofit
● Collaboration within a positive team environment
● Increased understanding of and alignment with global issues
● Networking with other nonprofit professionals
● Career mentoring with Pamela Hawley, Founder & CEO of UniversalGiving™
● With positive work experience, references provided
● For students, class credit can be arranged according to school requirements
Email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com with "Web Designer Intern "in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.
UniversalGiving™ is committed to understanding and representing the diverse populations it serves worldwide. Members of all ages, genders, sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, nationalities, physical abilities or disabilities, religions or beliefs, and cultures are welcome as employees and volunteers in our organization. We believe that a diverse team will best serve our diverse populations.
UniversalGiving's vision is to "Create a World Where Giving and Volunteering Are a Natural Part of Everyday Life."™
For more information please visit:
● UniversalGiving's website
● UniversalGiving's Blog: PhilanthroPost
● CEO Pamela Hawley's Blog: Living and Giving
● Follow Us on Twitter: @UniversalGiving and @PamelaHawley
● Like us on Facebook
Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Junior Web Developer" in the subject line. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls please.