INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF NEW ENGLAND
Summer 2017 INTERNSHIPS
The International Institute of New England (IINE) is a 501(c) 3 non‐profit organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, with site offices located in Boston, Lowell, and Manchester, New Hampshire. The Institute's mission is is to invest in the future of our cities and towns by preparing refugees and immigrants for participation in the social, economic and political richness of American life through active citizenship.
The IINE Internship Program offers outstanding opportunities for college students, graduate students, and recent graduates. Interns are recruited year‐round on a semester basis in the Boston, Lowell and Manchester, NH offices. All IINE internships are unpaid.
Internship Opportuntities support:
- Skills Training: Our training programs prepare immigrants for jobs in hotels, hospitals, and banks. Responsibilities include conducting information sessions and intakes, evaluating applicants, preparing lesson plans, teaching, creating resumes, applying for jobs with clients, and filing/data management
- English for Speakers of Other Languages: Our ESOL classes teach English to immigrants. Responsibilities include conducting information session, coaching students on career, education, and civic engagement goals, and filing/data management.
- English for Employment: Our EFE classes teach English to newly-arrived refugees and asylees. Responsibilities include assisting teachers in the classroom, tutoring students one-on-one, and filing/data management.
- Community Services: Our Community Services program coordinates case management and other services for resettled clients. Responsibilities include teaching orientation for recently arrived refugees, assistance with case management (securing housing, applying for temporary financial assistance, advocating for health and social services), referrals to a wide variety of social services, and filing/data management.
- Refugee Resettlement Services: Our Resettlement program coordinates the arrival and integration of refugees, asylees, and other clients. Responsibilities include assistance with case management (accompanying clients to the DTA, health clinics, social security office, etc.), and filing/data management.
- Employment Services: Our employment program places newly-arrived refugees into their first jobs in the US. Responsibilities include teaching Work Orientation, one-on-one support for clients on resumes, job applications, interview practice, and filing/data management.
- Reception and Communications: Our offices each receive 40-100 clients on a dialy basis, many of whom are here for multiple services. Responsibilities include helping staff the front desk, serving as a resource and guide for new clients, assisting in document collection, and reaching out to clients with questions.
- May - August 2017
- A minimum commitment of 20 hours per week is required
- Days are flexible depending on student's schedule and internship manager's needs.
- Boston and Lynn, MA
- Lowell, MA
- Manchester, NH
For more information regarding internship descriptions, responsibilities, qualifications, and how to apply please visit our website at iine.org/careers
2 Boylston Street, 3rd Floor
Boston, MA, US 02116
Hours per week:20