Internship posted by: International Rescue Committee - Atlanta Volunteer Office
Posted on: January 9, 2013
First Things First is an innovative program that provides intensive beginning English as a Second Language (ESL) services to refugee women, while childcare is provided for their children under the age of two. ESL topics are tailored to the specific survival needs of women and families.
This internship is 10 hours a week for a minimum of 3 months. Interns must be available during class time 9:30-11:30am Monday to Thursday.
• Assist instructor in developing and implementing pre-literacy and literacy-level appropriate activities
• Assist instructor in daily classroom activities, including one-on-one tutoring, leading small group practice, and teaching specific components of the curriculum
• Support program activities by researching new curriculum content and preparing educational materials as requested by instructor
• Assist with record-keeping, data entry, and file maintenance to support program administration
• Support structure and schedule of program
• Fluent spoken and written English
• Must be comfortable working in a cross-cultural environment
• Experience working with refugees or immigrants preferred
• Previous teaching experience a plus
• Must be flexible and creative
• Must have initiative and be able to work independently
• Enthusiastic, positive attitude
For more information or to apply, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at VolunteerATL@Rescue.org or 678-636-8928.
To learn more about us, please visit the IRC website at www.Rescue.org/Atlanta