Internship posted by: International Institute of New England
Posted on: February 25, 2013
IINE is currently offering internships through its Reception and Placement Program (R&P) to students with demonstrated interest or experience in serving refugee, asylee and immigrant populations. Tasks include cultural and community orientation, assistance with case management (securing housing, applying for temporary financial assistance, advocating for health and social services) and community outreach.
• Flexible schedule preferred; preferably 4 days a week (Monday through Friday).
• Interns are required to work at least 20 hours per week; preferably full-time.
• Assist R&P case managers with client cases.
• Facilitate cultural reception and orientation of newly arrived refugees.
• Help to secure furniture and set up apartments for new arrivals.
• Activate EBT cards for food stamps.
• Obtain IDs for newly arrived refugees.
• Assist or accompany refugees with doctor's appointments and with navigating the public transit system.
• Research appropriate resources for refugees and/or low‐income families.
• Assist in registering refugee children for school.
• Troubleshoot and problem‐solve case‐related issues.
• Complete basic administrative tasks including filing and forms assistance.
• Driver's License and/or car a plus.
• Comfort in navigating the local-area on public transit.
• Interest in international, refugee and asylee issues.
• Excellent communication and advocacy skills.
• Organized with great attention to detail.
• A comm.and of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
• High‐levels of professionalism, discretion and maturity in dealing with confidential information.
• Bi‐lingual and bi‐cultural experience a plus.
• Fluency in Arabic, French, Spanish, Nepali, or Burmese highly desirable.
TO APPLY: Please send a cover letter, résumé, and a list of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate in your application which internship you are applying for and at which location.