About First Book
First Book is a nonprofit social enterprise working to end the crisis of knowledge poverty throughout communities in the U.S. and Canada. Through unprecedented innovations and publishing partnerships, First Book has placed over 160 million brand new books and resources into the hands of children in low income communities, providing the wealth of knowledge they need to read, learn and succeed. At First Book, we have business minds and mission hearts. We are dedicated to our mission and work hard to accomplish our goals by forging partnerships and strategies that benefit the publishing industry as well as the communities, programs and schools we serve.
About the Role
Your mission will be to establish and sustain a creative vision for non-book products on a platform that empowers organizations serving children in need. You will own the process from start to finish, working collaboratively to design categories, select products, and find vendors that will allow us to offer exceptional products at the lowest prices possible.
You will have the opportunity to work interdepartmentally—analyzing sales data, inventory levels, customer surveys, and relevant market trends—to forecast future inventory needs of current products and craft entirely new sections that will delight, amaze, and (most importantly) empower our network to help children living in poverty.
Essential Skills, Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Strategize on non-book product merchandizing and acquisition plans in collaboration with First Book's Engagement Team
- Negotiate with vendors to source chosen products at the best possible cost and in line with the First Book Marketplace price structure.
- Grow in-kind donations of non-book products that can be used to achieve First Book's mission
- Represent First Book at national, regional, and local events/gatherings to educate new and existing partners and recipient groups about First Book
- Work with national non-profit partner managers to plan and execute campaigns and events that reflect positively on First Book and help to solicit engaged First Book members, donors, and First Book supporters
- Use web-based tools (Confluence and JIRA) to plan and manage projects
- Re-design current processes and procedures to drive maximum efficiency and productivity of this business unit
- Maintain standard operating procedure documentation for Non-book products and ensure they are updated annually to reflect new processes or procedures for BB operations
- Maintain an updated pipeline report with product sources and status of on-going negotiations
- Work with other First Book teams to merchandise non-book products to ensure consistent sales and inventory turns
Qualifications include the following:
- Must be a positive self-starter who is committed establishing and strengthening relationships
- Must have a proven track record of successful negotiation skills
- Must demonstrate entrepreneurial and innovative vision
- Must be extremely organized and adept at multi-tasking
- Must have exceptional people skills.
- Must be able to relay detailed technical information in a clear, positive and timely manner to a variety of different partners
- Must be comfortable with data, data management, and using data to make informed decisions
- Knowledge and understanding of Excel is required
- While most of the job duties are performed at a desk, some duties are performed "in the field" in a warehouse setting. While in the warehouse, the employee must be able to lift 20 to 50 lbs. with great frequency and not be afraid to get dirty. Additionally, the individual may need to operate basic warehouse equipment (with training)
- This position requires flexibility in work schedule, at times working evenings and weekends.
- A sense of humor and ability to handle complicated situations with a 'cool head' is required
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred
- Proven ability to manage large projects with many parts
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Outlook and a high comfort level with learning new software
- Basic accounting skills
At The First Interview:
You will be asked to bring a prepared proposal for the First Book Marketplace:[[http:fbmarketplace.org|fbmarketplace.org]]
Your proposal will expand a current category section, or create a new one, to meet the needs of organizations in our network. Include the products you would select, a plan for sourcing these products at excellent prices from vendors, and how you would merchandize and market them to generate interest.
1319 F Street, NW
Washington, DC, US 20004
Employment type:Full Time