IPPF/WHR is a leader in the international movement to secure sexual and reproductive health care as a human right for all. We work with local Member Associations and partners in 40 countries across the Americas and the Caribbean towards a shared mission: to ensure sexual and reproductive rights for all, including universal access to high-quality health services and comprehensive sexuality education.
We connect our local partners to the global movement for sexual and reproductive rights and ensure their long-term sustainability by providing technical assistance in areas such as program planning, organizational development, and fundraising. Together, we build strong institutions and healthy communities throughout the region.
The International Planned Parenthood Federation/Western Hemisphere Region (IPPF/WHR) seeks a creative, talented, and dynamic individual who is an expert marketing and communications strategist and campaign leader to fortify IPPF/WHR's development and communications department and top institutional priorities. The Director of Marketing and Communications will play a leading role in defining, aligning and streamlining communications efforts across the organization with a focus on campaign and engagement strategies particularly around the Zika virus and raising general awareness of sexual and reproductive health and rights across the Americas and the Caribbean.
- In collaboration with key staff, define and implement a bold growth strategy for the communications area that aligns with the goals of IPPF/WHR's new strategic framework 2016-2022.
- Educate, motivate, and lead a complex international organization in applying communications best practices, with a particular focus on brand-raising, campaign development, digital communications and data-driven approaches while providing leadership to IPPF/WHR's overall integrated marketing activities.
- Create and implement innovative and compelling integrated marketing strategies that build and reinforce IPPF/WHR's brand, and that increase awareness of, engagement with and fundraising revenue for IPPF/WHR, with a focus on new audiences in the US and across Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Bolster efforts of digital staff on effective digital strategy and analytics (email, web, multi-media social media).
- Keep up with trends in sexual and reproductive health and rights and support development, advocacy, and programs teams in implementing relevant strategies and tactics at IPPF/WHR
Brand and campaign management
- Oversee the development and implementation of a thought leadership plan, aimed at identifying and leveraging opportunities to raise the profile of IPPF/WHR's work.
- Proactively seek partnerships with other nonprofits and organizations to position IPPF/WHR as the leading sexual and reproductive health organization.
- Collaborate with development and communications teams to ensure a consistent brand presence across all communications channels.
- Provide thought leadership to communications, advocacy and programs staff in monitoring and identifying opportunities for regional campaigns. Lead the charge to craft campaigns that achieve social mobilization, marketing, or advocacy objectives, which can translate into compelling fundraising collateral and strategies.
- Design and ensure thoughtful execution of a campaign to inform, educate and engage audiences on the Zika virus and sexual and reproductive health and rights in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Support the development of marketing and fundraising communications strategies and liaise with the programs team to develop content and materials targeted at donor audiences.
- Work with staff to identify their communications needs and provide support in the development of relevant materials, especially as they relate to restricted projects and developing crisis communications.
Management and Organizational Leadership
- Supervise, support, develop and guide the professionals working within the marketing and communications team.
- Collaborate with the Regional Director, Regional Management team and relevant colleagues on the strategy and execution of all communications initiatives related to IPPF/WHR's 2016-2022 organizational strategy, including the development of annual goals, strategies, and desired outcomes.
- Develop, present and monitor the marketing and communications department budget.
The right candidate will...
- Have expert understanding of communications including campaigns, digital marketing, social media, web and mobile development and management.
- A tactical leader, s/he will have a strong data and analysis orientation and a proven ability to use metrics to drive decisions and achieve strategic objectives.
- Have experience developing and executing successful fundraising, awareness, or advocacy campaigns.
- Have a minimum of ten years of experience in communications, ideally in the sexual health and reproductive rights field or related fields—Master's Degree in communications or other related field preferred
- Be a sharp, creative writer and verbal communicator
- Be a people person with demonstrated ability to develop and sustain relationships
- Be passionate about sexual and reproductive health and rights and related progressive causes
- Be a proactive problem solver, looking to develop and implement initiatives that promote change to existing processes
- Be familiar with Latin America and the Caribbean
- Possess strong diplomatic and negotiation skills
- Fluent English and Spanish
- Able to thrive in a complex and fast-paced environment
- Have a great sense of humor
- Have the ability to travel occasionally, sometimes under difficult circumstances
- Be based in our New York City office.
125 Maiden Lane
New York, NY, US 10038
Application deadline:March 31, 2017
Start date:April 3, 2017
Employment type:Full Time
Salary range:100,000 - 125,000
Salary:commensurate with qualifications and experience
Benefits:Excellent Benefits package
Language proficiency:Fluency in English and Spanish required