The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation's most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.4 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America's bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature - work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
NRDC Action Fund is seeking an Administrative Assistant to work with our team in NRDC's Washington, DC office. The NRDC Action Fund is an affiliated but separate organization from the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC). Our mission is to build political support in the United States for protecting the planet and its people. In addition to holding elected officials accountable for their votes and lobbying political leaders to implement the Clean Power Plan, we have endorsed a presidential candidate for the first time, as well as a powerful list of environmental champions for the U.S. Senate. This year will be pivotal in our fight to protect our nation's environmental legacy.
The Administrative Assistant will bring a high level of organization and initiative to supporting the Action Fund's five member staff, as well as their interactions with the Action Fund board and the NRDC staff. We are looking for a professional who has proven administrative experience and a desire to help the Action Fund grow in effectiveness
Support Executive Director (ED) of the NRDC Action Fund (40%)
- Maintains executive's appointment schedule by planning and scheduling meetings, conferences, teleconferences, travel, and follow-up.
- Supports ED by developing and utilizing filing and retrieval systems; recording meeting discussions.
- Maximizes executive's time by serving as a conduit for staff, collecting and analyzing information; initiating telecommunications; and preparing materials for meetings
- Welcomes guests and partners by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or directing inquiries.
- Prepare and coordinate briefing materials for Executive Director and NRDC senior staff
Ability to anticipate needs of executive director based on organization's goals and program demands
Operational/Administrative Support (60%)
- Track all Action Fund expenses.
- Process all invoices.
- Process expense reports for ED, Director of Operations, Communications Director, and Development Manager.
- Collect and review timesheets.
- Coordinate upkeep of shared office spaces and digital and print materials.
- Responds to inquiries exercising significant initiative and judgement based on knowledge of policies and procedures and the goals of the organization
- Serve as a liaison to other departments, managing competing expectations and demanding personalities
- 2-5 years of administrative assistant experience
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Administrative experience (Outlook, expense processing (Concur / Great Plains), scheduling), previous executive support preferred
- Desire to pursue career in Administration/Operations
- Exhibit professional manner and positive attitude
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Interest in politics and the environment a plus
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines while managing interruptions
For further information about the NRDC Action Fund, please visit www.nrdcactionfund.org. If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please reach out to Customer Care by dialing 1-866-803-9663. To apply, please visit www.nrdc.org/jobs and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC/NRDCAF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRDC and the NRDC Action Fund are committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
For further information about the NRDC Action Fund, please visit www.nrdcactionfund.org
1152 15th St NW #300
Washington, DC, US 20005
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:Entry level