Work Experience Counselors (WEC) are responsible for the development, implementation and successful completion of one or multiple job training programs. All Work Experience Counselors have direct service responsibilities and are expected to facilitate the training and educational activities of their caseload. Work Experience Counselors are responsible for helping clients to overcome barriers to employment, to attain professional competencies through training and to secure ongoing, unsubsidized employment in jobs that provide a living wage. YEP is looking for a Work Experience Counselor to case manage high school youth in its Fire Fighter Academy. Successful candidates will work 40 hours per week but must be able to work saturdays beginning in March with the option of taking another day off during the week.
WEC's provide agency-wide support in the following areas:
- Counsel and advise at-risk youth ages 14-19 in a variety of work-related issues.
- Recruit appropriate youth for program participation.
- Develop individualized program and career goals/objectives with each participant.
- Provide labor market orientation and work maturity instruction.
- Analyze participants' social service needs and make appropriate referrals.
- Assist with job development for youth participating in and completing program activities.
- Maintain complete client files by documenting and tracking progress of youth in specific programs.
- Serve as liaisons and YEP representatives throughout the Oakland community.
- Depending on position, engage in programmatic development and planning with managers and directors.
- Complete other duties as assigned by direct supervisor or Executive Director.
- Be available to work Saturdays beginning in March and be available to your case load during the hours of 3:00pm-7:00pm at least four days out of the week, Monday-Friday.
- SALARY –WEC's are paid a rate of $18.25 - $20.20 per hour, depending on experience and education.
- PERFORMANCE BONUSES-Upon completion of the new employee evaluation period, If YEP meets its quarterly outcome goals WEC's are eligible to receive up to a 10% bonus, calculated on a quarterly basis. (YEP counseling staff have an average bonus rate of 7%)
- BENEFITS- WEC's receives all benefits required by law and an additional 15% of their gross monthly salary in a cafeteria-style health and welfare benefit plan.
- PAID TIME OFF – WEC's receive 13 paid holidays, sick leave and vacation time.
EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS: BA or BS required
WORK EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS: WEC's must have extensive and successful backgrounds in employment and job training. All candidates must possess the following: a profound commitment to working with at-risk youth and young adults; a strong ability to organize & problem-solve; ability to multi-task at an extraordinarily high level; ability to thrive in a high energy, demanding work environment; be sensitive to the needs of our client population and maintain clear counselor/client boundaries; a strong, demonstrated work ethic; strong public speaking, verbal and written communication skills; and a serious dedication to working in a non-profit environment in order to better the lives of underserved youth in the Oakland community.
This position is also contingent upon your ability to:
1.Clear an appropriate fingerprint and background check -required of all YEP employees.
2.Access to a vehicle at least 20 hours/week, a valid driver's license and proof of insurance.
Areas of focus:
2300 International Blvd
Oakland, CA, US 94601
Employment type:Full Time
Salary range:38,000 - 42,000
Salary:Based on experience and education