Job posted by: Bronx Preparatory Charter School
Posted on: March 14, 2013
Bronx Preparatory Charter School Teaching Positions 2013-2014
Bronx Preparatory Charter School is looking for New York State certified teachers for grades 5 – 12 in the following subject areas:
- Childhood 1 thru 6
- Special Education – middle and high school (subject specific specialization and CTT experience a plus)
- Science – Living Environment, Earth Science
- Mathematics – middle and high school
- Social Studies/History – Global Studies and US History
- English Language Arts – middle and high school
- Certified Reading Specialist
- English as a Second Language
Bronx Prep's Mission and Program
The mission of the Bronx Preparatory Charter School is to prepare under-served middle and high school students for higher education, community involvement and lifelong success through a structured, caring environment of high academic expectations.
The Bronx Preparatory Charter School (Bronx Prep) is a 675 student, 5th thru 12th grade charter school in its thirteenth year of operation. We are divided into a middle school of grades 5 thru 8 and a high school. Our 2013 high school graduating class of scholars will be our seventh group of students moving on to their postsecondary lives. We have had Bronx Prep alumni graduate from college starting in 2011
Bronx Prep strives to develop eight core values in our scholars (The 7 C's plus 1): curiosity, commitment, competence, character, confidence, caring, community and communication. We want adults to work with our scholars who have the same values in the.
From humble beginnings in September 2000, with eight rented classrooms in a church basement and an enrollment of 100 students in 5th and 6th grades, we now have approximately 675 students matriculating in our own $20 million state-of-the-art facility. Every Bronx Prep high school graduate has earned admission into college. Our alumni currently attend more than 50 colleges across the country, including Stanford, MIT, Swarthmore, Georgetown, Howard, University of Virginia, Wellesley, and various SUNY and CUNY campuses.
Bronx Prep runs an extended-day and extended-year program that places rigorous demands on teachers' energy and time. On average teachers instruct five periods per day. All teachers must participate in the school's professional development plan, which supports them in the creation and delivery of aim-driven lessons - based on the school's standards - that reach students with various learning styles. Assessment tools including standardized exams are built into the curriculum to measure student progress on a regular basis.
Bronx Prep enjoys considerable independence in its operations, but is held rigorously accountable to parents, to its chartering entity, and to the general public for the achievement of its mission.
Become a member of the Bronx Prep Team
At Bronx Prep "Teamwork Makes the Dream Work". We have faculty, staff, students and parents who believe that if we work together towards the goal of maintaining high academic and social standards for all scholars we can make any dream come true. We offer competitive salaries and benefits.
Teachers at Bronx Prep:
- Demonstrate excellent pedagogical content knowledge
- Display flexibility and the ability to be proactive and fully engaged in the school community
- Think and act in a caring manner towards students
- Are engaged in developing interesting curriculum
- Have high and explicit expectations for students
- Maintain professional relationships with all in the Bronx Prep community
- Have NYS or eligible for NYS certification in their specialty area
- Have knowledge and understanding of the NYS Common Core Standards, NYS grade level assessments and course related scope and sequences for New York Schools and experiencing implementing these standards into their teaching
The ideal Bronx Prep candidate has:
- A strong belief in the Bronx Prep mission.
- NYS certification that fits the position they are applying for
- Demonstrated success helping students meet high academic standards
- Superior communication skills
- The ability to work collaboratively with all Bronx Prep stakeholders
- Experience teaching in the position they are applying to
- Proven ability to use data to inform instruction and improve student outcomes on accountability measures
- Teachers purposefully using data and solid pedagogy to improve student performance in classroom assessments
- Consummate professional
To become a part of our Bronx Prep team, please send a cover letter, resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line please put the teaching position that you are applying for – ex. General Science Teacher.
Your cover letter should explain why you want to teach at Bronx Prep and give examples of how you think you can add to the Bronx Prep community and why you think working with us will help contribute to your future career goals.