This role provides a great opportunity to join an energetic and collaborative team of professionals dedicated to increasing academic opportunity for students. A key member of the national team, the research and evaluation manager will be involved in all aspects of Breakthrough's continuous cycle of improvement and evaluation. The research and evaluation manager will design, lead, and conduct analyses of existing programmatic data and collect new data to inform the development and adjustment of our core program to better serve students and teachers. In addition, this position will support the development and implementation of our new College Connected Program by researching best practices in peer mentoring and advising in higher education, conducting interviews and focus groups with Breakthrough alumni, and engaging in regular evaluation of the program's performance.
Reporting to the national executive director, this position will manage Breakthrough's research associate, and will collaborate with the entire national staff. The research and evaluation manager's work is critical to the success of our efforts to improve educational opportunity in this country, and we're looking for a dynamic, passionate, and thoughtful team member to help propel our work forward.
This is a full-time position. Ability to work from the National Office in Oakland is strongly preferred. Remote candidates may apply.
- Data Management. Develop and codify best practices for data collection and use for core metrics and indicators. Determine gaps in data and develop and implement strategies to collect it. Collaborate with the research associate on the organization's programmatic database, developing strategies for its use and ensuring regular, accurate updating and report generation.
- Research & Analyses: Ask and answer questions about the effectiveness of Breakthrough's work at the affiliate and Collaborative-wide levels. Analyze publicly available national data to create benchmarks and standards for Breakthrough programming. Provide relevant organizational data to support Breakthrough's external messaging, including development and communications.
- Presentations& Conferences. Create and deliver presentations of data analyses internally at staff and department meetings, retreats, and board meetings. Create and deliver presentations of data analyses to local site staff via written documents, phone conferences, web technology, and regional and national Breakthrough conferences.
- Policy Analyses & Writing. Analyze the education landscape for current policy agendas and movements that affect Breakthrough's student, teacher, and organizational constituents. Draft and/or contribute to the writing of Breakthrough impact papers.
- Staff Management & Mentoring. Effectively manage and mentor the research associate, providing professional development and skill-building; delegate tasks, and review performance.
- Master's degree required
- Professional experience in research and evaluation positions utilizing different research methodologies and quantitative and qualitative statistical analyses to answer various research questions
- Experience developing surveys and conducting interviews and focus groups; experience collecting data from students and teachers preferred
- Ability to conduct literature reviews, synthesizing key themes and applying to program development
- Experience in developing indicators for benchmarking, and setting goals and monitoring progress for feedback and accountability
- Experience in or significant knowledge of education-reform as a practitioner or researcher
- Demonstrated technical proficiency and versatility with Excel and statistical software (R, SPSS, STATA, etc.) analyzing and integrating multiple data types and sources; experience with qualitative analytic tools is a plus
- Ability to generate clearly written reports and communicate with varied audiences
- Dedication to Breakthrough's dual mission of increasing teacher quality and college access for students in under -resourced communities
- Knowledge and utilization of NCES K-12 and HE datasets and analytic tools
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and complete projects successfully as planned
- Proficiency with Salesforce a plus
This job can be performed from a remote location.
180 Grand Avenue
Oakland, CA, US 94612
Application deadline:March 12, 2017
Start date:April 1, 2017
Employment type:Full Time
Salary:Compensation is commensurate with experience and expertise.
Benefits:We offer comprehensive health benefits, a 401(k) retirement plan, commuter benefits, and a generous paid time-off policy.