Job posted by: Jewish Family & Children's Service of Greater Boston
Posted on: November 1, 2013
The Skills Trainer works with a child with special needs to assist him to live as independently as possible within his home and in the community. The Skills Trainer assists the individual to safely access his community, participate in recreational activities and to participate in activities of daily living at home while redirecting and prompting client to use appropriate behaviors and skills. Most training will be during the dinner hour to assist client with learning appropriate eating skills and behavior at the table.
Must be available in afternoon and evening hours, preferably 2 PM - 8 PM Tuesdays, 5:15 PM -- 8 PM Fridays, and potentially additional times. These exact work hours for this position can be negotiated during the hiring process. Some weekend hours may be available.
A minimum of a four month commitment is required.
Essential Job Functions:
• Respectfully teach client and assist with activities of daily living including but not limited to: eating, grooming, dressing, showering, toileting, homework, behavior, and safety.
• Assist individual in attending social and recreational activities in the community. This might include transporting individual in personal vehicle.
• Help the individual work towards and achieve goals in the areas of communication, leisure endeavors, and wellness.
• Participate in physical fitness training and related activities with the individual
• Learn and implement educational models of best practice and evidence based information in the areas of communication, and emotional regulation based upon goals of independence
• Communicate effectively and readily with the individual and the individual's family
• Assist client to achieve goals by maintaining knowledge of his learning style, strengths and needs and ensure that skills are taught accordingly.
• Assist individual to be integrated into the community and act as an advocate for the individual while in the community
• Communicate effectively with other program staff, individual's family and individuals associated with consumer services, in a collaborative team effort.
• Other duties as specified
• Experience working with individuals with disabilities, or High School Diploma or Equivalency with 2 or more years working with people with disabilities, specifically children with intellectual disabilities.
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Must have a valid driver's license, proof of car insurance, and reliable vehicle.
• Previous experience working with individuals with autism preferred.
• Must be able to keep pace with strong, active, quick, impulsive young teen
To apply for employment opportunities, please reply to this ad and/or send resume with cover letter and salary requirements to:
Jewish Family & Children's Service 1430 Main Street Waltham, MA 02451 Attn: Human Resources -or- Fax: 781-693-5072
We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. JF&CS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
*PLEASE PUT THE JOB TITLE IN THE SUBJECT OF YOUR MESSAGE*