Associate Program Manager
Global Business Systems
Based in Washington, D.C.
Up to 15% international travel
Reports to the GBS Program Manager
Who we are
We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 "PSI'ers" around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job.
We are looking for an Associate Program Manager (APM) to help us provide direct support to PSI's Global Business Systems (GBS) department. This is a department known for innovation, creativity, and its commitment for achieving results.
The GBS APM should be passionate about how GBS's projects contributes to PSI's work, strive to improve existing systems, and have a curiosity for why things are the way they are and confidence to propose ways to do things better. The APM should be excited to learn new skills to help the team where it needs support the most.
The APM will have wide-ranging responsibilities working with PSI staff at all levels both in Washington and overseas, providing program management and administrative support in the implementation of PSI's global management information systems in DHIS2, and Android-based mHealth applications. The position requires an understanding of business processes, flexibility, and a willingness to assume varied duties and projects. While there will be an emphasis on administrative tasks, there's room to grow since GBS is committed to finding and retaining talented staff. We are looking for a team member who we can count on…we want to feel confident delegating responsibility and exciting projects to this APM, and she or he can see them through to completion.
The APM will need to be able to juggle multiple competing priorities and enthusiastically ensure smooth and timely flow of work. The position requires strong organizational skills. This position is based in Washington, D.C. and reports to the Program Manager for GBS.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Communicating with field offices, responding to internal and external requests for information
- Coordinating with contracts department to track/respond to contracts issues
- Creating workplans when needed and ensuring all workplans are up to date
- Support GBS to employ best practices for project implementation
- Support donor reporting process, ensuring quality submissions and document retention
- Coordinate inter-departmental communication
- Develop case studies and lesson sharing on DHIS2 best practices
- Manage special projects as they arise
- Preparing monthly financial status report reviews; be responsible for ensuring timely updates and analysis of program spending trends.
- Managing and tracking consultant invoicing and billing, and communicating as needed to corresponding departments
- Assisting with travel arrangements and event logistics as needed
- Developing and maintaining databases, electronic and hard copy files as needed of relevant programmatic information for easy information sharing with the field
- Fulfilling other programmatic and administrative functions as needed
What are we looking for?
- You have at least three years of relevant work experience, including experience in program and financial management.
- You are passionate about working on international health and private sector issues and are willing to work hard to make a difference in the lives of those we serve.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Significant budget development/management experience
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, and strong analytical/problem solving capabilities
- Knowledge of USAID, Global Fund, DFID and the international donor community required.
- You have an undergraduate degree in a relevant subject. Graduate degree is a major plus (MPH, MBA, MIA, etc.)
- You have advanced skills in Excel, word processing, budget management and monitoring, and data analysis.
- You can perform a variety of tasks on short notice within designated deadlines
- You can impress us with your attention to detail and timeliness.
What would get us excited?
- Familiarity with DHIS2 and other management information systems
- Intermediate and proficient ability to work in French
- Experience living outside the United States and in multicultural environments
- Customer service oriented
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proven problem solving ability
- Ability to work efficiently and quickly under pressure
- Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and follow through on assignments
Must be authorized to work in the United States; PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- Level 7
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Washington, DC, US 20036
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified