Organization Profile: For over 30 years, Legal Outreach, Inc. has been raising the bar of academic achievement for urban youth from underserved communities in New York City. Through intensive legal and educational programs, Legal Outreach works with students from middle school through college to provide them with the vision, skills, and support they need to matriculate and succeed at selective colleges and universities. Please see www.legaloutreach.org for more information.
Legal Outreach, Inc. seeks an energetic lawyer or law student, interested in working part-time to help youth from New York City's urban communities fulfill their academic and leadership potential to serve as the Law Related Education Recruitment Assistant. This role is essential to recruiting talented eighth graders from New York City public schools to participate in engaging, academically rigorous college preparation programs. Special emphasis will be placed on the recruitment of black and Latino boys.
- Under the supervision of the Managing Director of Academic Programs, assist with recruitment into two of Legal Outreach's programs: Sports, Business & Law Clinic; and Law & Justice Institute by presenting law lessons at middle schools and community-based organizations.
- Assist with program operations for the Sports, Business & Law Clinic and Law & Justice Institutes.
- Assist with the collection and analysis of data related to the performance and retention of males within the Law & Justice Institutes and College Bound programs.
- Assist with program-related administrative tasks.
- Projected number of hours per week between February and April will vary from 10-15 hours.
- Candidate must have at least one year of prior involvement with schools, community activities, or youth programs.
- Candidate must be willing to travel throughout Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, and the Bronx to recruit students.
- Candidate must be available to make early morning recruitment visits.
- Candidate must have strong presentation and motivational skills, particularly with teenagers.
- Candidate should be able to work independently and as part of a team.
- Candidate should be highly organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable multi-tasking.
36-14 35th Street
Long Island City, NY, US 11106
Application deadline:April 7, 2017
Start date:February 6, 2017
Employment type:Part Time
Professional level:None specified
Salary:$15/hr Projected number of hours per week between February and April will vary from 10-15 hours