The AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) mobilizes communities to create equity and justice for people living with and vulnerable to HIV and related chronic diseases. We envision a world in which people living with HIV and related chronic diseases will thrive, and new HIV infections will be rare. Our work focuses on improving health equity, preventing new cases of HIV, serving as a collaboration and knowledge center, and being a bold voice for change.
We are seeking an individual to serve as our Communications and Design Specialist. AFC's Communications and Design Specialist uses a variety of skills and strategies to support AFC's brand, amplify voices in the HIV community, and interact with AFC's audiences in meaningful and innovative ways. In this support role, the Communications and Design Specialist will serve as a writer, editor and project manager to ensure that AFC's goals are being met, and they also execute and manage visual and graphic design projects for the organization. This is a role that requires immense creativity; a self-driven, can-do attitude; and the ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
Principal functions and responsibilities of this position include the following:
Visual Content Development and Design
- Execute design deliverables for print, web and social using Adobe Creative Cloud tools;
- Manage relationships between AFC and designers for outsourced creative projects and campaigns;
- Maintain a responsive and efficient process for managing internal graphic design requests;
- Create graphics and design deliverables that actively respond to the needs and tastes of AFC's audiences, including AFC's Priority Populations (young, gay Black men; transgender women of color; Latino gay men and Black women living in high-incidence areas)
- Monitor organizational compliance to AFC's branding guidelines on materials created and distributed;
- Work with photographers to plan photos needed for online content, direct mail campaigns and other communications;
- Stay abreast of the latest design trends and best practices by subscribing to e-newsletters, attending professional development events and reviewing relevant design-related publications.
- Write or coordinate at least 1 story per quarter for AFC's Inside Story blog;
- Write or coordinate at least 1 story per quarter for AFC's News section;
- Create pitches for stories that are ultimately approved by the Director of Communications, the Director of Individual Giving, the Chief Officer of External Relations, and/or the President/CEO;
- Follow style and editorial rules found in AFC's Style Guide and the AP Stylebook, and effectively use electronic editing tools;
- Conduct interviews or attend meetings to obtain information and data, verify facts, research and/or seek technical advice.
Special and Ongoing Projects
- Update visual content and copy on AFC's website on a regular basis, in close coordination with AFC's department leaders;
- Serve as a project manager or point-person on special campaigns, materials and projects;
- Collaborates with Communications Director, Digital Communications Coordinator and other Communications team members to develop fresh ideas and creative responses to project pitches.
- Assist with agency-wide activities as directed, including Annual Meeting, AIDS Run & Walk Chicago, World of Chocolate and others;
- Assist with other AFC activities as requested;
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in communications, design, marketing, web development or related field OR 3 or more years of on-the-job experience.
PLUS 2 years of experience working with graphic design, design software and web programming included but not limited to Adobe Creative Cloud programs, preferably in an organizational or agency setting.
Experience writing original, creative text used on digital platforms.
Experience leading campaigns or other communications projects with various stakeholders and deliverables to timely and effective completion.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Solid, time-tested understanding of distilling ideas, concepts, campaign goals and audiences into innovative visual or written content. Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to diplomatically and effectively interface with internal and external contacts at a variety of levels.
Ability to be resourceful and flexible while maintaining a results-oriented customer service focus. Ability to resolve problems while balancing the best interests of both the agency and employee or applicant. Must be able to work effectively with diverse populations.
Excellent organizational ability (attention to detail, ability to manage multiple projects, establish workload priorities, take initiative, and meet deadlines). Ability to adapt to changes in the work environment quickly, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent change, delays or unexpected events are key to success in this role.
200 W. Jackson
Chicago, IL, US 60606
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified