AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network's largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The primary responsibility of the Seasonal Study Abroad Outreach Associate is to engage and cultivate potential AFS students with the end goal of moving them through the application process. Additionally, the Seasonal Study Abroad Outreach Associate supports organizational priorities and quality goals, including compliance to AFS, government and CSIET regulations and standards.
- Support the organization's sending goals by converting student inquiries to active applicants.
- Provide students, parents and educators with detailed program information, including program costs, program and country choices, and reasonable and clear program expectations.
- Guide, support and inform students and parents through the AFS application process.
- Counsel students and parents on the financial aid process including application deadlines, financial aid realities, scholarship information, student-driven fundraising, and how to determine best program choice as it relates to aid opportunities.
- Monitor program matrix availability, deadlines, and organizational priorities to ensure applicants are allocated appropriately. Promote priority countries, scholarships, fundraising and incentives.
- Meet daily, weekly and monthly goals. Comply with customer service and contact standards by keeping in close contact with students and parents.
- Manage the customer relationship through various touch points, including phone, email, chat and social media outlets.
- Maintain personal knowledge of sending countries and programs.
- Review student applications. Motivate and assist students to complete the full application.
- Inform students of status changes such as program acceptance, host family placement, scholarship award notifications, etc.
- Provide accurate information about AFS-USA to various constituents (parents, host families, educators, returnees, volunteers) who inquire via phone, email, chat and social media outlets.
- Data entry and other administrative tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
- International/intercultural exchange experience (living or studying abroad or exposure to other cultures). Preference given to people who have had high school study abroad experience, with AFS in particular.
- 1-2 years sales experience is a plus.
- Experience working in a call center.
- Strong computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheets, email, database use, and Internet applications.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Comfort working in a strategic and consultative sales environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Sound time management skills and professional judgment.
- Able to deal with shifting and conflicting priorities.
- Able to work in a team environment.
- Detail oriented, while able to see the big picture.
- Comfortable speaking with people of different backgrounds and ages including volunteers, AFS Returnees, school officials, students, parents, and colleagues, including public speaking and presentations.
It is the policy of AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law) predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation.
- New York, NY, US 10005
Professional level:None specified
Salary:$14/ per hour