The Ironbound Community Corporation (ICC) is a 47 year non-profit organization whose mission is to engage and empower individuals, families and groups in realizing their aspirations and, together, work to create a just, vibrant and sustainable community. Our organization operates two Family Success Centers (FSC) in the Ironbound community of Newark which provide a range of services and programs to support and strengthen families. Under the direct supervision of the Center Director, the Citizenship Class Coordinator/Instructor (CCCI) teaches English literacy and U.S. history and government to adult ESL students to prepare them for the naturalization interview and test to become a U.S. citizen. The CCCI has to oversee the agency's Citizenship classes by supervising the administrative assistant, instructors, coordinating outreach and services, overseeing quality assurance, and preparing pertinent data and narrative reports. T
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide instruction to English as Second Language learners.
- Prepare students for the written ,oral portion of the naturalization exam and the Oath: U.S. History and Civics for Citizenship.
- Evaluate students' performance in accordance with established procedures and recommend program exit or continuation. (Best Plus Version 2.0)
- Apply principles of effective human relations, learning styles and cognitive development as they relate to the overall growth and development of students.
- Administer pre and post-tests (Best Plus Version 2.0) as well as informal assessments to evaluate student. progress and to incorporate individualized instruction or other academic support.
- Participate in staff activities for in-service training and professional development.
- Maintain, record, and report student daily or weekly attendance.
- Maintain strict confidentiality and security of staff and student records.
- Perform other related duties as required.
JOB SPECIFICATIONS OR QUALIFICATIONS, SPECIAL WORKING REQUIREMENTS
- • Bachelor's degree in education and/or related field
• TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages), ESL (English as a second language) and EFL (English as a foreign language) coursework and certification.
• Three or more years of related work experience teaching preparations course for the citizenship exam and providing English as a second language (ESL) instruction.
• Demonstrated knowledge with the naturalization process and steps involved in becoming a U.S. citizen., the naturalization test, and the rights and responsibilities of U.S. citizenship.
• Experience in computer operation and database applications.
• Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning methods.
• Demonstrated knowledge with the naturalization test, and the rights and responsibilities of U.S. citizenship.
• Ability to utilize varied teaching methodologies that are most appropriate for adult students
• Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills. Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:ICC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from diverse cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
317 Elm St.
Newark, NJ, US 07105
Application deadline:March 20, 2017
Start date:March 13, 2017
Employment type:Part Time