Democrats for Education Reform-DC (DFER-DC) seeks a Program Associate to provide critical, high-level support to the DC State Director, particularly in the areas of communications, external and donor relations, and government affairs. This role is ideal for someone who thrives in an entrepreneurial, flexible, and occasionally high-intensity environment.
ABOUT DEMOCRATS FOR EDUCATION REFORM
Democrats for Education Reform was founded in 2007 by a group of activists and entrepreneurs in order to address the persistent and growing achievement gap in America's public schools, as well as the social, cultural, and economic crises that education inequality perpetuates. The new DFER-DC branch launched in January 2015 with the goal of continuing, and accelerating, the reforms that have made Washington, D.C. the fastest improving urban school district in the nation.
Given the complexity and local nature of education reform, DFER's approach is designed to work at multiple levels, including policy analysis, public engagement, electoral and issue advocacy, and targeted outreach in order to unite the local community and elected officials in their vision for reform. DFER works to elect, educate, and empower elected officials to advocate for substantive reform, ultimately shaping education policy. In addition, DFER raises public awareness so that constituents can hold their leaders accountable for creating tangible change in DC schools.
- Act as a "first responder" to triage incoming requests for the DC Director, working autonomously to move projects forward and answer questions on behalf of DFER-DC/the DC Director.
- Assist with scheduling high-level meetings, prioritizing projects/tasks, and ensuring the DC Director's time is maximized
- Provide ongoing development/fundraising support to the DC Director, e.g. drafting grant proposals, assisting with donor communications, conducting donor research
- Work with the DC Director to develop an events strategy to engage local stakeholders
- Manage planning, logistics, outreach, and communication for all events
- Work with coalition members and partners to plan and execute joint events as-needed
Policy Analysis and Communications
- Monitor policy changes and proposals in the DC Council and Mayor's office as well as education news and key issues in all eight wards of the District
- Draft press releases and statements on relevant policy and political issues as they arise
- Draft research briefs and analysis for external parties, e.g. government officials
- Establish and cultivate working relationships with key staff members at relevant gov't agencies, e.g. provide briefing materials, analyze legislation, and make connections with key constituents (e.g. teachers, principals, parents)
- Manage social media handles/accounts on behalf of DFER DC
- Bachelor's degree required
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Strong research and analysis skills
- Track record of successful project management
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with gov't officials & their staff
- Willingness to be flexible in an entrepreneurial and intense work environment
- Passion for DFER's mission and vision
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. A comprehensive benefits package is included.
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
Democrats for Education Reform seeks individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization and recruiting a team that reflects the diversity of the District's public schools.
840 First Street, NE
Washington, DC, US 20002
Application deadline:June 1, 2017
Start date:February 1, 2017
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:Entry level
Benefits:Health, vision, dental, 401K matching, cell phone reimbursement, 3 weeks paid vacation