Be part of a small but dynamic communications team at the NEA Foundation, an independent, public charity created in 1969 by educators for educators to improve public education for all students. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with strategic communications experience who believes as we do, that educators are powerful change agents who can improve student outcomes. It's also an opportunity to grow professionally and craft and test new idea as our programs and communications strategies evolve to fit the needs of educators and students.
The Communications Manager will play an integral role in planning, developing, implementing, and evaluating communications strategies that support and extend the Foundation's visibility and online presence. You will create promotional materials, serve as project manager on various projects, inform and support media relations efforts, oversee video production.
You will consult regularly with program teams to identify communications opportunities, working with them to develop content for web, social, influencer, and media consumption. Tasks will include maintaining, updating, and promoting the Foundation's website, blog, social media presence, and all e-communications.
The successful candidate will be organized, highly motivated, resourceful, and a self-starter. You are a proactive problem solver, a continuous learner who thinks analytically, writes creatively, and works collaboratively with colleagues, key partners, and stakeholders. You are nimble, able to plan and evaluate the results of communications strategies to provide quick and informed recommendations. You will work in an environment that is team oriented and that deeply appreciates your thinking.
- Develop, execute, and evaluate communications strategies to support the promotion of the Foundation's programs, working collaboratively with staff and leadership to identify opportunities for internal and external outreach
- Write and edit promotional materials, including blog posts, news releases, e-blasts, and other compelling communications tailored to various audiences and partners
- Research and develop media lists, develop and execute successful pitches, and respond to media inquiries
- Regularly track and evaluate metrics of success and adapt strategies to grow and improve outreach results over time
- Build and foster relationships with stakeholders, partners, and targeted reporters and media outlets
- Provide communications coaching and guidance to staff and act as a resource for technical support
- Maintain, update, and develop compelling content for the Foundation's website (WordPress)
- Build and execute social media strategies, launch paid advertising and promotions, and coordinate with program teams for digital content (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube)
- Design and disseminate e-blasts and manage segmented mailing lists (Mail Chimp)
- Develop and maintain an editorial calendar and various internal documents
- Oversee video productions
- Collaborate with vendors and consultants
- Assist in planning and managing events
- Track media placements in biweekly media monitoring reports
- Manage departmental budgets and perform other administrative tasks as needed
- Bachelor's degree and minimum 3-6 years of experience in communications, public relations, marketing, or a related field required; Master's degree preferred
- Excellent written/oral communications
- Experience using content management systems (WordPress) for website management and knowledge of HTML coding
- Strong interest in the latest web technologies and social platforms; Experience with HootSuite, Mail Chimp, Google Analytics, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, LinkedIn, YouTube, or other website analytics platforms and social media
- Some experience working with reporters, bloggers, or members of the media
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and/or other design software preferred
- Strong analytical, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively manage multiple projects and timelines
- Sense of humor
The NEA Foundation is an equal opportunity employer, offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and provides the opportunity to work with extraordinary colleagues who are dedicated to a great public education for all students. Please send your resume, and a cover letter with your salary history and requirements to email@example.com. For information on the NEA Foundation, visit www.neafoundation.org.
Areas of focus:
- Washington, DC, US 20036
Employment type:Full Time