JOB DESCRIPTION: Bilingual (Spanish) Fair Housing Legal Assistant
The Fair Housing Center of Project Sentinel, a non-profit fair housing agency, seeks a full-time bilingual (Spanish-speaking) paralegal or legal assistant in its Santa Clara office to provide direct services to clients facing housing discrimination, assist with staffing a tenant rights legal clinic, conduct fair housing investigations, support ongoing affirmative litigation, and provide community education.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Under supervision of staff attorneys, conduct fair housing complaint intake, counseling, and referral;
- Support bi-monthly tenant rights legal clinic in San Jose;
- Conduct fair housing and habitability investigations, including property surveys and tenant interviews, throughout Santa Clara County;
- Analyze documents such as notices and leases and prepare written summaries;
- Support ongoing federal and state court affirmative litigation;
- Provide community outreach and education on fair housing and tenant rights issues in English & Spanish, including drafting written materials and conducting presentations;
- Maintain accurate and complete case management records;
- Prepare quarterly reports; and
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned
Please note, this position may require some non-traditional work hours for legal clinic & investigatory activities.
- AA degree required; paralegal certification desirable
- Must be fluent in Spanish
- Experience with fair housing, tenant rights, disability rights advocacy, and/or employment discrimination highly desirable
- Able to understand and prepare legal documents, and understand federal and state fair housing statutes/regulations as well as municipal ordinances
- Desire to help historically underserved, vulnerable communities and work to further civil rights protections for individuals without regard to race, national origin, color, sex/gender, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other protected class
- Detail-oriented, with excellent analytical, organizational, and communication skills
- Able to manage active case load and short timelines
- Computer literate
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to Jessica Tankersley, Litigation Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Bilingual Legal Assistant" in the subject line of the email.
For more information about Project Sentinel, please visit our website at www.housing.org
Project Sentinel is an equal opportunity employer and actively encourages candidates from all races, national origins, ethnicities, genders, religions, ages, sexual orientations, and life experiences to apply.
1490 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA, US 95050
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified