It is the mission of Work Opportunities to promote self-determination, self-respect, and valued participation in the community for individuals with disabilities through work. We are currently looking for a motivated professional to join our Whatcom County team as an employment specialist. The ideal candidate will be flexible, accountable, and eager to learn. If you are looking for a rewarding career in human services, possess excellent communication and time-management skills, and collaborate well with others, we want to hear from you!
This position would start at part-time, 15-20 hours per week, and would increase to full-time, 40 hours per week by July 2017.
AVAILABILITY REQUIRED: Tuesday-Saturday (with occasional Sundays and Mondays)
WAGE: $11.00/hour - $15.75/hour
BENEFITS: Work Opportunities offers a complete benefits package for full-time employees, which includes: Medical/Dental/Vision, life insurance, disability insurance, paid holidays, paid time off. These benefits would not apply until this position increases to full-time.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE:
The part-time Employment Specialist I (ES1) provides follow-along services for individuals with disabilities working in community jobs or community volunteer sites. The Employment Specialist I works at the site to help train both the employee and the employer on effective communication techniques, overcoming barriers to successful job performance, assessing the workplace for safety, and developing natural supports in the workplace.
The full-time Employment Specialist II (ES2) assists individuals with disabilities in obtaining and maintaining employment that is consistent with their vocational goals.
- ES1: Associates Degree or High School Diploma with one year experience in working with individuals with disabilities in vocational endeavors or one year working in the human services field or related experience
- ES2: Bachelor's Degree -or- one year experience working with individuals with disabilities within employment settings or another comparable field
- high level of professionalism in appearance, actions, and communication
- ability to maintain strict confidentiality
- effective oral and written skills
- proficiency with MS Office (Word, Outlook)
- positive attitude
- clearance of DSHS Background Check
- valid driver's license and certification by Work Opportunities' insurance carrier
- current first aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain within 30 days of the onset of employment
- reliable transportation/vehicle required (mileage reimbursement provided) and the ability to drive to numerous appointments/sites each work day, an acceptable 3 year motor vehicle report, and the continuous retention of an acceptable 3 year motor vehicle report
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF POSITION:
- maintain a caseload of an average of 12-18 clients
- engage the client and family in the intake process
- assess job seeker's skills and support needs utilizing community based assessment sites
- develop Career Path Service Plans that identify employment goals and the methods and strategies to achieve those goals
- provide feedback to client regarding grooming, interview skills, vocational expectations and job performance
- (ES2 only) develop and coordinate employment positions in community businesses which meet the employment outcome goals and support needs for the client
- (ES2 only) utilize knowledge of customized employment to develop employment opportunities for individuals with significant support needs
- provide on-site job training and support to clients at the workplace regarding job duties, policies, and procedures in collaboration with the employer
- provide travel training for clients as needed
- troubleshoot issues and concerns that arise at the job site and work with the employer and client to maintain a positive and successful working relationship
- provide support and training to employers to facilitate a reduction in the need for paid support and the integration of the supported employee into the regular work routine of the business
- maintain excellent communication with the client, their circle of support, the referring agency, and other involved parties such as residential providers, regarding progress on and outcomes of employment plan
- provide environmental analysis: determine needs businesses, conditions of employment, and opportunities for the client to meet additional needs of the employer and increase his or her hours
- assist employers to identify, modify and/or eliminate architectural, procedural and attitudinal barriers to better accommodate the employability needs of supported employees
- secure job performance feedback from employer and makes appropriate adjustment to the individual's employment service plan to enhance job performance
- submit daily progress notes to Program Manager
- participate in training opportunities
- assume the responsibly for maintenance of case records and files
- become familiar with Work Opportunities' mission statement and provide services accordingly
- maintain confidentiality
PRIORITY DEADLINE: Position open until filled
- Due to the quantity of applications received, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- No phone calls about this job.
- Work Opportunities is an EEO/AA. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to sex, race, color, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression of age.
Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
192 E Bakerview Rd, #202
Bellingham, WA, US 98226
Application deadline:April 26, 2017
Start date:January 25, 2017
Employment type:Part Time, Full Time
Professional level:None specified
Salary:$11 to $15.75 DOE
Benefits:Medical/Dental/Vision, life insurance, disability insurance, paid holidays, paid time off. These benefits would not apply until this position increases to full-time.