Primary Location: Bluefields, Nicaragua
Reports To: Renewable Energy Program Coordinator
Area/Department: Renewable Energy
Duration: 1 year minimum commitment (preference given to 2 year commitment)
Start Date: ASAP
blueEnergy is looking for talented, committed individuals to join our diverse, dynamic organization, and can offer many opportunities for meaningful personal and professional growth.
Currently blueEnergy is seeking a mature, culturally sensitive, proactive individual with strong motivation to work in the energy program team in Bluefields, Nicaragua. As blueEnergy Nicaragua's Renewable Energy Technician Fellow, you will work within the renewable energy team under the Renewable Energy Program Coordinator.
In the 2017/2018 time period the Renewable Energy Technician Senior Fellow will coordinate the technical design and implementation of a rural micro-grid, design and install solar systems for farms, homes and businesses, document energy-related research and activities, help train local technicians, support the execution of energy-related project activities, as well as collaborate in the development of new project profiles and their corresponding budgets.
blueEnergy is an international nonprofit organization that works to break the cycle of poverty to create a world of sustainable living and opportunity for all. The organization does this by creating opportunities for sustainable development in severely marginalized communities and by developing leaders working internationally for a more equitable, sustainable world.
The blueEnergy Group is made up of blueEnergy International, blueEnergy US, blueEnergy France and blueEnergy Nicaragua. More information is available on our website at www.blueenergygroup.org.
- Using knowledge of electrical power systems, coordinate the technical design and implementation of a solar and diesel hybrid micro-grid.
- Using knowledge of electrical power systems, asses the energy needs of of farms, small businesses and houses. Using your assessment design appropriate solar systems using Excel and CAD software.
- Create community training materials and execute trainings on the different renewable energy technologies.
- Within each assigned project, execute system conception, purchasing, logistics, preparation, construction and installation (including repair and maintenance of some of these systems) following the guidelines, processes, formats and policies established by blueEnergy.
- Contribute to the research and development of new appropriate technologies for the energy program of blueEnergy (researching best adapted technologies for our beneficiaries and their socio-economic context, conducting diversified studies, building and studying prototypes).
- Work with the Renewable Energy Program Coordinator to improve the technologies already in use as well as their implementation.
- Document the work of the renewable energy team in blueEnergy with reports and other media using blueEnergy templates.
- Strengthen the capacity of the renewable energy team through the creation of internal materials, manuals and databases.
- Participate in the creation of project profiles and budgets to be submitted to potential funders.
- Work with local staff and partners to train them in renewable energy and energy efficiency
- Communicate with energy partners (universities and other organizations) to share experiences and learn about alternative technologies and techniques.
Qualifications & Competencies
- Electrical Engineering diploma, especially in energy (or corresponding professional experience). MSc preferred.
- Working knowledge or willingness to learn about solar power, generators, lead acid battery maintenance, electric wiring standards and power distribution.
- Language: Strong to Intermediate Spanish & English language (written and spoken) required; knowledge of French is a plus.
- Social skills: Teamwork, empathy, listening to understand, adaptability, patience and flexibility.
- Experience working in multicultural teams where teamwork is necessary.
- Good teachings skills and high level of social sensitivity.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills.
- Attention to detail and ability to follow through on task assignments.
- Capacity to adapt communication with the interlocutor (willingness to speak Kriol English to Kriol English speaking beneficiaries, adapting technical language to improve understanding of the interlocutor)
- Flexibility and resilience in a challenging work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Proactive and able to work independently to complete project tasks.
- Capacity to listen and respect others' opinions.
- Strong Emotional Intelligence (No drama, team player, humble, empathic, proven integrity, fun to work with)
Compensation & Living Conditions
Working with blueEnergy in Nicaragua provides the fellow with a rich experience in multi-cultural team work, indigenous cultures, development models and appropriate technology. At blueEnergy's core is a strong entrepreneurial culture which promotes initiative and leadership. blueEnergy fellows are given great responsibility and, as a result, they experience tremendous growth, both personally and professionally while serving on the ground.
This fellow position provides a unique opportunity to learn about the social-development sector, operate in diverse international teams, and acquire hands on experience with renewable energy technology and project development and implementation.
blueEnergy provides a modest living stipend, room & board in communal housing, orientation, internet, supervision, project-based travel and some operational overhead. International and domestic airfare are not covered by blueEnergy.
Barrio San Pedro
Bluefields, Región Autónoma Atlántico Sur, Nicaragua
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified
Benefits:Room & board in communal housing, orientation, internet, supervision, project-based travel and some operational overhead.
Language proficiency:Strong to Intermediate