The Academy of Alameda Special Education Teacher
The Academy is seeking a full-time, highly qualified special education teacher committed to serving a diverse student body and delivering services and instruction using a progressive RtI model.
Our special education teachers work as part of a dynamic team that includes close collaboration with general education teachers and support staff to deliver targeted instruction, accommodations and support services. There is a strong focus on collaborative teaching and case management (including partnering with parents/guardians).
The Academy of Alameda's Special Education Team plays a critical role in supporting all students (but especially those who have IEPs) to be academically, emotionally and behaviorally successful.
When applying for the position, please take time in your cover letter to reference your knowledge and/or experience with providing supports to student with disabilities in a mainstream classroom environment. Also, please discuss what about this particular position excites you.
Who We Are:
In the seventh year of its charter, The Academy serves a diverse student population and has gained an excellent reputation for preparing students both academically and socially emotionally for high school and beyond. The Academy is a rigorous learning community where learning is embedded in meaningful real world contexts and where students are deliberately taught to see the connections between home, school, and the world through the lenses of identity, diversity, justice, and action.
The Academy of Alameda is an equity-centered public school that equips ALL students with the critical thinking skills, knowledge, mindset, and personal qualities so that they are on track for success in college and are inspired to affect change in their communities.
An Ideal Candidate Will:
- Believe that all students can be successful at high levels and that a student's academic success should not be determined by their race or ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, sexual preference etc.
- See the value in and thus have a strong desire to collaborate deeply with other teachers, and supporting staff members
- Have a student-focused lens and continually seek to build strong relationships with students and their families
- Be a successful teacher – strong in both subject areas who is reflective and continually wants to improve his/her practice to impact student learning
- Work hard but also have fun
- Demonstrated success in teaching at the early childhood or elementary school level
- Belief in AoA's mission and philosophy
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize student achievement while creating a nurturing and encouraging school environment
- Hold or are working towards Special Education teaching credential
- CLAD Certificated
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation is competitive and based on experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package and participate in California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS).
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation
401 Pacific Ave
Alameda, CA, US 94501
Application deadline:March 27, 2017
Start date:January 27, 2017
Employment type:Full Time
Salary:Compensation is competitive and based on experience
Benefits:We offer a comprehensive benefits package and participate in California State Teachers Retirement System.