New Alternatives for Children, Inc. (NAC) is an award-winning health care and social service agency in Midtown Manhattan, with a satellite Bronx office, which serves children living with medical complexity, disabilities and/or significant emotional or psychiatric diagnoses and their families. NAC is currently seeking applicants for a new position of receptionist in its newly renovated Comprehensive Health Center, integrating mental health and pediatric medical services in a single location. This is an exciting opportunity to work with individual and multidisciplinary teams of professionals at an innovative agency serving the needs of some of the most vulnerable children and families in New York City.
"WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, COMMITTED TO DIVERSITY"
General Purpose: The Receptionist will serve as the initial primary contact with clients (children, adults and their families), guests and other visitors via front-desk and telephone interactions.
Hours: Weekdays noon – 8:00 pm; 35hr/week position
Primary Reception Duties and Responsibilities:
- Greet all visitors and staff in a welcoming manner.
- Distribute "Visitor Passes" as directed by internal policy.
- Notify staff in the pediatrics or mental health clinics, as appropriate, that the client has arrived for an appointment. These staff members include
- therapists, psychologists and psychiatrists and social workers assigned for all clients with appointments in the Article 31 clinic and for clients with appointments in the Article 28 Clinic who are presenting for psychological evaluation; and
- the nurse on duty in the Article 28 clinic and social workers assigned for all clients presenting for pediatric medical appointments in the Article 28 clinic.
- Notify clients' social workers of their arrival via phone, paging or email.
- Answer telephones, screen and direct incoming calls to staff.
- Distribute messages; in writing, verbally or electronically, as appropriate.
- Interact with messengers & vendors.
- Maintain Staff Sign-In/Out Sheets.
- Maintain Client/Vendor Sign-In Sheets.
- Maintain "Fire Drill " and "Disaster Drill" Attendance Sheets in the event of a Fire Drill, Disaster Drill or False Alarm.
- Communicate with transportation department for clients' return home when needed.
- Distribute Metro Cards & petty cash during evening and weekend hours, and keep accurate records as needed.
- Manage keys for various offices and closets in the agency at main reception desk as needed.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities as needed:
- Schedule and confirm appointments, in collaboration with coordinators of the mental health and pediatric clinics.
- Complete Transportation or Family Support Requests via online form.
- Assist clients in the check out process, as needed, before they leave the clinic.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Is able to manage a mid to large phone console(s)
- Work independently and under pressure
- Write legibly
- Follow written and oral instructions effectively.
- Uses excellent communication skills to work within a team setting
Education and/or Training (Minimum Qualifications for Consideration):
- Speak Spanish fluently
- Have a High School Diploma or its equivalent
- Be computer literate
- Have strong organizational skills
- Have the ability to multi-task
- Be accurate and detail oriented when performing complex tasks
- Present with a highly engaging phone manner
- Have the ability to interface easily with NAC clients and staff
- Considerable experience in general office procedures
- 1-2 years of Reception experience in a medical or mental health setting.
37 West 26th Street
New York, NY, US 10010
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:Entry level
Benefits:Medical, Dental, Vision