Title: Community Literacy Specialist
Status: Full-Time Exempt Position
Reports to: San Francisco Program Supervisor
Tandem, Partners in Early Learning™ works with families, educators, and communities to surround young children with interactive learning experiences that spark joy and close the opportunity gap. At Tandem, we believe that family engagement in early learning is critical to breaking the cycle of poverty and building brighter futures for children. Tandem's programming is threefold: to provide high-quality, age appropriate, multilingual children's books; to deliver training for educators and parents; and to build a strong community-wide commitment to support children's early learning. Since 2003, Tandem has served over 90,000 children ages 0-6 and their families in San Francisco, Alameda, and Contra Costa counties.
Position Summary and General Responsibilities
The Community Literacy Specialist (CLS) will deliver family- and community-based literacy programming focused on skills that parents and educators can develop and practice at home and in the classroom. The CLS is responsible to deliver StoryCycles, Tandem's classroom-based book circulation program and other Community programs which increase access to books, skill level with early literacy strategies, and parent confidence and motivation. The CLS will train parents, caregivers and community members to become leaders in early literacy and family engagement in high need communities where children are at risk of not entering school ready.
The CLS will be the face of Tandem in the community, and as such, must be an effective communicator, and approach partnership opportunities with an entrepreneurial spirit and strategic acumen. S/he will lead local efforts to find and develop champions for early childhood literacy within high need communities.
Provide classroom implementation support and professional development for classrooms implementing StoryCycles.
- Site Management - Support a select caseload of classrooms
- Coordinate and support program implementation with educators & administrators
- Track site performance using established tools
- Support sites and maintain relationships with educators and families through workshops, interactive Read Aloud demonstrations, and family literacy events
- Participate in new site recruitment and selection
- Develop resources to support high-quality program implementation
- Manage early literacy events library program and maintain relationships with local librarians
- Manage ordering and distribution processes of program materials
- Develop and maintain book inventory
- Workshops & Training
- Remain informed about current research and professional development surrounding early literacy and childhood development
- Participate in development of workshop content, early literacy resources, and family literacy events
Accountability & Program Evaluation
Maintain accurate and up-to-date data on program implementation at sites.Support effective tracking, evaluation, and reporting of program elements.
- Enter data on service delivery on a daily basis to Salesforce
- Report and document communication with partners and prospective partners in Salesforce
- Administer evaluation tools (surveys and focus groups) and use data to inform service delivery
- Participate in survey distribution, collection, and data entry
- Aggregate feedback from workshops and community events
- Inform development of new program tracking systems
- Contribute to grant reports, as needed
- Ensure that all site-specific contractual obligations and reporting requirements are met within specified timeframes
Community Capacity Building
Build relationships and maintain partnerships with community based agency and coalition partners.
Build alliances to extend Tandem's mission within the community.
- Source and develop robust relationships that encourage and strengthen Tandem's mission and ability to be a leader in the Bay Area literacy landscape as well as community partnerships that extend Tandem's programming reach
- Manage the launch of pilot sites and programs with replication and sustainability in mind
- Strategically work to align program elements with early literacy and family engagement priorities at the agency and community level
- Support training for community members, staff and volunteers, as needed, in all relevant content
- Actively participate in local literacy initiatives and councils
- Participate in speaking engagements for fundraising purposes, as needed
Plan and implement Tandem's participation in community based events.
Train and support volunteers at community events.
- Plan community event logistics
- Develop and manage work plans, timelines and budgets for community based events
- Work closely with Communications and Development team on volunteer recruitment and event promotion
- Support recruitment and training of event volunteers
- Bachelor's degree and/or teaching or professional training experience preferred
- Sound knowledge of literacy development; familiarity with principles and practices of adult learning and early childhood education
- Stellar facilitation skills with the ability to convey information effectively to diverse audiences
- Fluency in Spanish, Cantonese, or another language common among constituents highly desired
- Ability to apply critical thinking and sound judgment in carrying out program and management tasks while working independently under minimal direction
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with sensitivity and nuance with people across many ages, cultures, literacy levels, etc.
- A team player who is cooperative, reliable, has a positive attitude and communicates constructively
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills, with the ability to make adjustments to convey information effectively to diverse audiences
- Proficiency in MS-Office Suite tools required, familiarity with Salesforce preferred
- Ability to develop and use collaborative relationships to facilitate the accomplishment of work goals
- Commitment to Tandem's goals and values
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks or projects while paying sufficient attention to details, even in the presence of distractions or changing work conditions
- A valid California Driver License, satisfactory driving record, and access to an insured vehicle for use on the job required
This position requires the ability to regularly sit for long periods, use a computer to create and update documents frequently; operate a motor vehicle and navigate roads weekly; and lift and carry up to 35 pounds.
1275 Fairfax Ave
San Francisco, CA, US 94124
Start date:March 6, 2017
Employment type:Full Time
Salary:Salary DOE, full-time, exempt, salaried position.
Benefits:Benefits package includes: medical, vision & dental insurance, retirement plan, vacation and sick leave.