What are we looking for?
Women for Women International (WfWI) is in search of an excellent writer with a media and press background or deep sector knowledge to join our re-energized Communications team ahead of our 25th Anniversary in 2018. We're preparing to mobilize a campaign to tell our story and inspire a brand experience that instills loyalty in our supporters and need you to help us. If you're an excellent writer, deeply committed to our work, and have an interest in helping to build a communications and external engagement strategy, you're the right fit for our team!
As we're building our team, we're looking for complementary backgrounds – one of journalistic experience and networks and the other of sector experience and deep knowledge of the humanitarian/development/women's rights fields. The complementary roles will be at the Director and Officer (this posting) levels and both positions will work to maximize our exposure through digital mediums, youth engagement, and media relations.
If you're passionate about supporting marginalized women in areas of conflict and excited about working with a team to build a communications and external engagement strategy, then this position is for you. Tell us what you'll bring to the mix and how you can help us tell our story in a compelling way!
What will you be doing?
The Communications Officer will focus on positioning WfWI in terms of media and events to increase visibility and engagement. S/he will also lean in to the development of our communications and external engagement strategy. More specifically:
- Research and pitch reporters, producers, media outlets and event managers to secure placement and increase visibility of WfWI spokespeople and programs
- Develop and update fact sheets, talking points, press releases, op-eds, speeches, pitch packets, and outreach materials using best practices in impact-storytelling to advance our brand and key messages
- Review WfWI external/internal communications to ensure consistency across HQ, the UK office, and Country Offices in adherence to brand guidelines
- Monitor news and media hits on an ongoing basis to ensure maximum leverage for WfWI
What skills will you need?
First and foremost, we're looking for an excellent writer with demonstrated experience working under pressure, whether in a newsroom, grassroots organization, private or public sector. More specifically:
- 3-7 years of relevant experience; journalistic background and/or sector experience highly desirable
- Bachelor's degree or higher in related field
- Experience working in the countries we operate in highly desirable
- Persuasive and effective writing skills with a journalistic approach to impact storytelling
- Experience working with reporters and producers
- Strong research, analysis, and copy editing skills
- Experience working with international teams preferred
About Women for Women International:
In countries affected by conflict and war, Women for Women International supports the most marginalized women to earn and save money, improve health and well-being, influence decisions in their home and community, and connect to networks for support. By utilizing skills, knowledge, and resources, she is able to create sustainable change for herself, her family, and community. Since 1993, Women for Women International has helped more than 447,000 marginalized women in countries affected by war and conflict. We serve women in 8 countries offering support, tools, and access to life-changing skills to move from crisis and poverty to stability and economic self-sufficiency.
2000 M Street, NW
Washington, DC, US 20036
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified