Seeking Full-Time Child Care Assistant and Per Diem Child Care Assistants
Providence House, Inc.is a not-for-profit organization that helps transform the lives of homeless, abused, and formerly incarcerated women and their children one family at a time. Our services and programs provide shelter and support through our network of transitional residences, individual apartments and permanent supportive housing located in Brooklyn, Queens and New Rochelle, New York. Our mission is to break the cycle of homelessness and return to incarceration by assisting our residents to obtain education and training, learn job skills, gain employment, and, ultimately, find a permanent home for their families.
Under the supervision of the Child Development Coordinator, the Childcare Assistant is responsible for providing age appropriate recreational and educational activities for children at the child care center and assisting in maintaining a clean and safe learning environment for children. The Child Care Assistant is expected to participate in the creation and scheduling of child care activities.
- Provide age appropriate activities by working with individual or small groups of children (i.e., games, art, music, reading, playground, educational videos, washing hands, etc.) for the purpose reinforcing age appropriate learning concepts.
- Maintains program equipment and work areas for the purpose of ensuring availability of items and/or providing for a safe learning environment.
- Assists in preparing food for children, serves meals and refreshments to children and regulates rest periods.
- Provides positive role model for the purpose of modeling positive adult-child interactions for parents.
- Receives and delivers children directly from/to parents or authorized individuals for the purpose of ensuring safety of children and meeting the child care rules and regulations.
- Maintains daily open communication with parents by keeping them informed of the program's expectations, activities and their child's progress.
- Reports any concerns or suspicion of abuse to supervisor. Must be willing to call in suspected abuse to NYS hotline as position is mandated reporter.
- Assists children with homework.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the child care center.
- Attends regular internal and external agency meetings.
- Keeps accurate, up-to-date documentation on all children.
- Completes all paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
- Assists with any and all data collection systems.
- Requires travel with children on trips, playgrounds, parks, etc.
- Other tasks as assigned by the Child Decelopment Coordinator.
- Associates required, Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children in a daycare setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with basic computer operations
- Child Care Center is open from Monday – Friday – 8:00am- 6:00pm. Hours for each worker varies based on the need of the program and based on the season.
- The office location for this position in Brooklyn, New York.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary range is competitive and is based on experience. Benefits include paid holidays, vacation, personal and sick leave, company-paid medical, dental, vision, prescription coverage and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability benefits, a 403(B) voluntary tax deferred annuity plan and pension benefits.
There are no benefits for Per Diem Child Care Assistants.
- Brooklyn, NY, US 11221
Employment type:Temporary, Full Time
Professional level:None specified