Broadway Housing Communities (BHC), a non-profit agency with a 30+ year track record in sponsoring innovative affordable and supportive housing, integrating community-based educational and cultural arts programs seeks an experienced Affordable Housing Rental Manager.
Reporting to the Director of Housing, the Affordable Housing Rental Manager is responsible for the administration of all phases of the rental process for 414 residential units in seven buildings located in Hamilton & Washington Heights in Upper Manhattan.
This managerial position will supervise three rental administration staff in the department, and will work collaboratively with BHC's fiscal, housing, facilities and tenant service structures to support BHC's operations and growth. The position oversees initial rental applications, eligibility and leasing, rent billing, collection and compliance. Additionally, the Housing Rental Manager is BHC's liaison with an outside legal firm in NYC housing court.
Review our website at www.bhc.org for more information about BHC.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Project Program Management & Compliance - Ensure all apartments are rented and operated in a clean and lawful manner, and in accordance will all supervisory agencies:
- Work collaboratively with facilities staff in planning and implementing apartment turnover.
- Ensure tenant applicants are eligible to rent an apartment based on the project program requirements (e.g. Low Income Housing Tax Credits, HPD Regulatory Agreements, and Section 8 subsidies).
- Participate in intake interviews with prospective tenants.
- Maintain an integrated and balanced tenancy with regard to agency referrals and community applicants.
- Maintain and prepare all tenant files for review, audit and inspection by project program supervisory auditors and inspectors.
Leasing, Rent Collection & Compliance
- Administer, complete and track initial lease, subsidies and lease renewals.
- Oversee tenant rent changes, including those changes that affect rent subsidies.
- Enforce tenant lease compliance with regard to rent payment, other lease terms, riders and "House Rules."
- Review legal and subsidy bills for accuracy on a monthly basis.
- Coordinate with maintenance & finance departments regarding additional repair or replacement charges that should appear on rent bills.
- Coordinate month to month rent collection operations.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive property management files.
- Liaison with attorneys on all tenant legal proceedings, including non-payment, holdover, stipulations.
- Provide attorneys with pertinent tenant documentation as needed in legal proceeding i.e. rent history, subsidy program, rent break downs, etc.
- Represent BHC as landlord in court proceedings.
- Lead BHC's Rental Administration Unit staff to address rent related issues and annual income recertification.
- Implement fair and straightforward rental policies and practices to serve the tenancy.
- Resolve problems with rental entitlements and subsidies.
- Follow up with payments due from HPD, NYCHA, LINC subsidies, and Section 8.
- Coordinate apartment inspections by various City Agencies and project program supervisory inspectors.
- Identify and prioritize maintenance issues in coordination with Facilities staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Housing.
OTHER DUTIES AND RSPONSIBILITIES:
- Maintain accurate income and rent information in various databases such as "Sales Force" and "RAISH" property management programs.
- Prepare reports on tenant issues including arrears, reason for arrears, tenant intervention contacts, current court status, lease compliance, vacancies, and incidents or accidents.
- Maintain a clear and comprehensive list of due dates for all tenants on payment plans, court stipulations.
- Aid in the preparation of NYS and NYC HPD, DHS and HUD required reports, including narrative and statistical reports on tenant client served, services provided to tenants and progress toward meeting objectives with partner agencies.
- Interface with City, State and Federal agencies and provide required housing documentation and assure compliance with fiscal and project program guidelines.
- Prepare other related duties as assigned by the Director of Housing.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS:
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science, preferred.
- Three to five years experience working in the field of property management or affordable housing.
- LIHTC certification and familiarity with NYC HPD, NYC DHCR, NYCHA, LINC, and Section 8 subsidies; knowledge of income eligibility requirements of publicly subsidized housing.
- Demonstrated experience with property management software and financial reporting systems; YARDI, Sales Force and RAISCH preferred.
- Superior organizational skills and supervisory experience is required.
- Flexibility and ability to cope with several tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to work comfortably with a diverse staff and tenant population.
- Professional written and oral communication skills.
Salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, health, dental, 403(b) plan, life insurance and disability coverage.
Send cover letter, salary requirements and resume to email@example.com with subject line Affordable Housing Rental Manager. Please no telephone calls.
Applicants must include salary requirements to be considered.
BHC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. BHC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, citizenship, status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, height, weight or disability.
583 Riverside Drive, 7th Floor
New York, NY, US 10031
Employment type:Full Time