At Families for Excellent Schools, our employees are passionate about their belief that all children should have access to great schools and education. We have diverse professional and personal backgrounds, and we don't simply accept them - we celebrate them, we support them, and we thrive on them for the benefit of our employees, organization and the communities with which we work. We are an active and energetic group, who like to roll up our sleeves and get things done, which reinforces our culture and organization's core values of Collaboration, Results, Grit, and Respect.
As Massachusetts Organizer, you will focus on the city of Boston while collaborating with other Organizers. You will be responsible for conducting outreach to families, developing and managing events, developing and supporting parent leaders and engaging with elected officials. The Massachusetts Organizer reports to the Massachusetts Organizing Director. If you are excited about being out of the office, love talking to people, and want to be involved in mission driven work, we happily invite to apply to join our team!
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Build a grassroots base of parent activists, leaders, and volunteers
- Cultivate powerful relationships with parents, schools, and community organizations
- Train and support parents to lead meetings and other events
- Coordinate work with school and community partners
- Manage outreach to families for events and hearings
- Develop neighborhood chapters and advocacy committees
- Mobilize and recruit parents for events and actions
- Manage data; submit and analyze organizing reports
Candidates should enjoy working in a dynamic, results-oriented environment in which expectations are high for both the quality and speed of work. In addition, they should have the following:
- Bachelor's degree (or equivalent work experience);
- Two years of organizing or campaign experience strongly preferred;
- Excellent interpersonal skills;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, including an ability to manage and multi-task many projects;
- Strong problem solving skills;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team;
- Excellent written and oral communications skills;
- Flexible schedule, including the ability to work late evenings and weekends, as needed;
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office; especially Outlook, Word and Excel;
- Demonstrated commitment to education, low income communities, and communities of color; prior knowledge of Boston school system a plus;
- Spanish speakers strongly encouraged to apply.
In keeping with the work, candidates must be able to travel and work on site frequently in Massachusetts, and work moderately irregular hours when needed.
PAY AND PERKS
Families for Excellent Schools is committed to providing the best for our employees in and outside of the office. We offer competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health coverage, an FSA, a 401K plan with 5% matching and pre-tax commuter benefits, and monthly cell phone bill reimbursements. Employees enjoy a generous vacation policy, alternating summer Fridays, and our office is shut down for a week at the end of the calendar year. We've partnered with AnyPerk to provide discounts from over 850 brands so that our employees can save on a variety of different products. Perks also include a shiny new MacBook on your first day and an open and collaborative office space.
Families for Excellent Schools is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Families for Excellent Schools does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Families for Excellent Schools is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values teamwork, collaboration, creativity, and diversity.
262 Washington Street
Boston, MA, US 02108
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified