Archway Programs' Upper and Lower Schools provide a wide variety of individualized programs for special‐needs students ages 6 to 21. Children with communication disabilities, multiple handicaps, behaviorally and economically ‐‐ receive not just an education, but services they need to succeed in life.
Archway Programs is seeking Full‐Time Teachers of the Handicapped for our schools to service children with special needs during the regular ten month school year and a special extended school year program during the summer.
- Provide support instruction in special areas (careers, life skills, art, music, computers, P.E.)
- Teach students personal development skills such as goal setting, independence, and self‐advocacy.
- Establish/enforce rules for behavior, policies and procedures to maintain order among students.
- Establish clear objectives for all lessons, units, and projects, and communicate those objectives to students.
- Prepare assignments with measurable outcomes to evaluate student progress.
- Accompany your students to all assigned educational activities.
- Maintain accurate and complete student records, and prepare reports on children and activities, as required by NJDOE laws and Archway administrative regulations.
- Prepare materials and classrooms for class activities; implement a variety of instructional techniques and technologies to meet Archway's special needs curriculum and other state‐required core curriculum subjects.
- Employ special educational strategies and techniques during instruction to improve the development of sensory and perceptual‐motor skills, language, cognition, and memory.
- Teach socially acceptable behavior, employing techniques such as behavior modification and positive reinforcement.
- Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, social workers, related services professionals and special area teachers to develop individual educational plans designed to promote students' educational, physical, and social development.
- Prepare for assigned classes, and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisors. (Weekly lesson plans)
- Monitor classroom teacher assistants and one‐to‐one aides to ensure that they deliver consistent service to students.
- Plan assignments for teacher assistants and one‐to‐one aides, and overseeing the implementation and evaluation of results.
- Administer Archway‐developed placement testing and yearly standardized achievement tests, to determine students' strengths and areas of need.
- Confer with other staff members to plan and schedule team teaching lessons promoting learning, following approved curricula.
- Organize, label and display educational materials in classrooms and hallways.
- Demonstrate an acceptable knowledge of computers, audiovisuals, and other technological equipment and materials to supplement educational presentations.
- Attend staff and committee meetings, educational conferences, and teacher training workshops in order to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Perform miscellaneous duties assigned by administration, such as assisting in school libraries, hall and cafeteria monitoring, and bus loading and uploading.
- Plan and supervise class projects, field trips, visits by guest speakers, or other experiential activities, and guide students in learning from those activities.
- Select, store, order, issue, and inventory classroom equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Develops an annual Performance Improvement Plan (PIP), gains administrative approval, and successfully accomplishes tasks by June 30th each year.
- Attends and contributes to all district Individual Educational Improvement (IEP) meetings for assigned students.
- Implements students indicators developed during IEP meetings.
- Attends yearly sessions in behavior management offered by Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) and shows mastery of Primary Restraint Training (PRT) following yearly instruction.
- • Must hold NJ Certificate as Teacher of the Handicapped or be eligible for the certificate.
If interested please e‐mail resume to email@example.com. We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
280 Jackson Road
Atco, NJ, US 08004
Application deadline:April 15, 2017
Start date:January 30, 2017
Employment type:Full Time