The Director of Major Donor Development works closely with the VP for Strategic Outreach to increase funding in support of Internews' mission by researching and engaging prospective and current individual donors for both restricted and unrestricted funds. The Director of Major Donor Development will be expected to design and execute on a comprehensive major donor strategy for Internews. This strategy includes cultivation of existing donors as well as developing and cultivating new donor relationships. The Director will work closely with the board to oversee and manage all aspects of the major donor program including annual campaigns, donor outreach and events.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
Strategic management of major donor program: 80%
- Develop Internews major donor strategy.
- Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects.
- Develop and manage a robust donor pipeline.
- Design and oversee campaigns, solicitations and donor communications.
- Develop and manage timelines for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic plans and critical processes are carried out in a timely manner.
- Secure and manage donor briefings.
- Manage donor research and prospecting.
- Monitor and evaluate development activities to ensure that goals are being achieved.
- Monitor trends in the sector and adapt strategies as necessary.
- Manage donor engagements for President and VP of Outreach.
- Train and mentor development staff and communicate fundraising goals and progress throughout Internews.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholdingInternews' Core Values.
- Design and execute donor event strategy for San Francisco, New York and Washington, DC.
- Work with board and staff to expand invitation lists for donor events.
- Work with communications to prepare event materials and briefing papers for donor pitches.
- Oversee development staff to manage event logistics.
- At least 8 years' of prior work experience in major donor development with a proven track record
- Project leadership experience in planning, leading and managing development projects including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors
- Passion for the role of media and increased access to information in changing lives.
- Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones
- Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising.
- Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials.
- Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences
- Experience running donor and annual gala events
- Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives
- Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally
- Proven ability to operate effectively in a multicultural environment; must be able and willing to work well with a diverse range of colleagues to achieve ambitious fundraising targets.
- Willingness and ability to travel as needed.
- Relevant University degree required.
- Prior experience working in the media development field.
- Prior experience with event planning.
- Prior experience with researching private sector donors, including individual prospects.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on ourAbout Working for Internewspage.
- Washington, DC, US 20005
Application deadline:March 10, 2017
Employment type:Full Time
Salary:Commensurate with Experience
Benefits:This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network's offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process.