Position open until filled
The Ruckus Society is seeking a skilled, passionate, and visionary Executive Director with a collaborative leadership style to spearhead Ruckus's support of frontline communities in their struggles for justice.
The Ruckus Society is a nonprofit organization that provides training and support in creative nonviolent direct action to communities fighting for social and environmental justice. Through our volunteer network of direct action trainers and practitioners, Ruckus has trained thousands of activists since 1996. We prioritize working with communities on the front lines of injustice, moving towards a vision of sustainability and self-determination.
Overview of Position
The Executive Director (ED) is a full-time position responsible for providing leadership and vision to carry out the Ruckus mission and raise the profile of the organization in the world.
We are seeking a dedicated, experienced, and enthusiastic leader, fundraiser and communicator with the commitment, skills, and capacity to ensure that Ruckus continues to fulfill its mission and thrive in a dynamic political landscape.
The Ruckus Society takes a collaborative and inclusive approach to leadership and planning among our stakeholders, and we are looking for an individual with the experience and desire to work in a shared leadership model, and who is flexible and committed to the overall advancement of the organization.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director will have four primary areas of responsibility:
1. Organizational Leadership and Vision
◦ Drive organizational development cycles, including strategic planning and evaluation, to develop and implement organizational vision and programs
◦ Facilitate a healthy and functioning staff team overall, with appropriate mechanisms for transparency and accountability among all staff members
◦ Manage the Board of Directors, Leadership Team, and a staff of three
2. Fundraising and Sustainability
◦ Assure generation of funds to sustain and grow the organization (currently a $250k budget for 2014)
◦ Supervise fundraising strategies for Foundations, Major Donors, and Grassroots Giving programs
◦ Manage relationships with funders and prospective funders
◦ Raise organizational profile and generate excitement about Ruckus's programmatic work through public speaking, writing, and other methods
◦ Drive strategy for online & offline communications for the purposes of documenting and promoting our work, and growing our base of followers and supporters
4. Financial Management
◦ Monitor and sustain the financial health of the organization with the Ruckus staff and Board
◦ Manage budget development and tracking with Program, Administrative, and Bookkeeping staff
◦ Oversee financial reporting and bring reports to Board and other stakeholders
In addition, the ED will play a co-equal role in staff-wide requirements:
In order to fulfill the stated responsibilities of the role, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
Salary position, with benefits available after a 90-day probationary period that will end with an evaluation.
San Francisco Bay Area.
Note that while Ruckus has been Oakland-based for years, we have recently moved into an office in San Francisco.
The Ruckus Society prioritizes the voices and visions of youth, women, people of color, indigenous people and immigrants, poor and working class people, lesbian, gay, bisexual, queer, and transgendered people, people with disabilities, and other historically marginalized communities. Individuals from one or more of those communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
If interested, send your cover letter and resume immediately to email@example.com with the subject line: "ED Application" and your first and last name (ie, Subject: "ED Application – Jane Doe").
In your cover letter, please address the following:
Position open until filled.