ABOUT BHC: A growing organization founded in 1983, Broadway Housing Communities is committed to addressing the challenges of inequality, poverty and homelessness for adults, children, families and communities in Upper Manhattan. BHC has developed and manages seven buildings that provide 400+ units of permanent supportive and affordable housing and other services for adults, children and families living in deep poverty; operates two high quality early childhood centers including a Head Start-funded program and a UPK program; three galleries that provide civic and cultural programs for tenants and the wider community; and, notably, a chartered cultural institution, the Sugar Hill Children's Museum of Art & Storytelling.
For more information about BHC please refer to our website www.bhc.org.
DESCRIPTION: BHC is seeking a highly skilled and experienced financial executive who will lead and provide strategic direction relating to all matters of the organization's financial planning and management including audit and tax preparation, budgeting, financial reporting, business planning, developing and directing economic forecasts and analyzing opportunities for growth and investment. Reporting to, and working in close collaboration with the Chief Operating Officer (COO), the ideal candidate will bring an understanding of nonprofit accounting and experience managing the finances of a complex organization with multiple entities, programs and funding sources, both government and private. This is a senior leadership position expected to serve as a partner to the Executive Director (ED) and COO and contribute to planning for the long-term growth and sustainability of the agency.
BHC's holdings consist of three 501(c) (3) corporations, five 501(c) (4) member organizations, two for profit general partners, two limited partners and a limited liability company. Together, these entities have operating budgets of more than $12 million, $100+ million in real estate assets and total assets of $150+ million. The CFO will be charged with financial planning, reporting and compliance for this entire portfolio.
Applicants from the for profit private sector are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Provide strategic financial leadership and decision-making and serve as the principal financial advisor to the Executive Director, COO, Board of Directors, and Senior Executive Team.
- Provide overall supervision of payroll, purchasing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and general accounting functions of finance department. Evaluate staffing needs, recruit, train and supervise additional staff, as needed.
- Manage all fiscal reporting activities for the organization including: organizational revenue/expense and balance sheet reports, reports to Board Finance Committee and Board of Directors, funding agencies, development and monitoring of organizational and contract/grant budgets.
- Serves as liaison to external audit firms and oversee organization's annual audit process and filing of all city, state and federal tax filings, A-133 audit and Charity filings.
- Work closely with executive and program staff to prepare annual organizational, program and grant budgets; meet regularly with executive leadership and program directors to monitor departmental budgets and insure management to budget.
- Engage development department to align financial management with short- and long-term financial planning and projections.
- Work with the Board to oversee the investment of the endowment; Serve as primary liaison with investment counselors and all banking relationships.
- Place and manage procurement and monitoring of all business insurance, including, property and liability, professional liability and D & 0 insurance.
- Ensure that effective internal controls are in place and finance staff maintains financial record systems, compliance with GAAP and applicable federal, state and local laws.
- Manage grants and contracts management systems, including cost allocation plans; integrating organization's annual budget and restricted funding; manage budget modifications, contract reporting, revenue vouchering and collection processes.
- Oversee long-term budgetary planning and cost management in alignment with organization's strategic plan.
- Work with IT staff to assess and integrate necessary technology infrastructure.
- Depending on experience this position may also oversee rent administration and integration with organization's finance department.
- Seasoned and mature leader with at least 7+ years of broad financial experience, ideally beginning in audit, followed by experience gathering and evaluating financial information and making actionable recommendations to senior leadership.
- Experience managing the finance and administration of a high-growth organization with budgets of no less than $10 MM.
- Master's Degree in Finance, MBA or CPA required.
- Comprehensive understanding of accounting and financial management.
- Experience with public sector financing and working with non-profit governance systems.
- Familiarity with affordable housing capital sources, low income housing and new market tax credits a plus.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing finance, accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting.
- Excellent analytical and forecasting skills.
- Superior Excel skills and experience with automated financial systems (Fund EZ and Yardi preferred).
- An effective communicator, with strong oral and written skills.
- Strong leadership skills and commitment to developing team members.
- Flexible self-starter, able to multi-task while also being highly detail-oriented.
- Willingness to be hands- on as well exercise supervision and oversight.
- Personal qualities of the highest integrity, transparency and accountability.
- Ability to work in a diverse multi-cultural environment.
APPLICATION: To apply for a position at BHC, please email your resume and cover letter with salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant review will continue until position is filled. Please indicate "CFO" in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
Salary commensurate with experience. We offer a comprehensive benefits package, including paid time off, health, dental, 403(b) plan, life insurance and disability coverage.
BHC is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, national origin, age, citizen status, marital status, sexual orientation, or disability.
583 Riverside Drive, 7th Floor
New York, NY, US 10031
Employment type:Full Time