Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) is one of the largest public defense providers in the United States. We represent more than 45,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. BDS represents clients who have diverse, complex and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and very fast-paced setting.
Description of Job:
Brooklyn Defender Services (BDS) seeks a full-time Paralegal to work with our NYIFUP attorneys and other staff to challenge the deportation of our noncitizen clients and secure immigration benefits on their behalf. Since November 2013, BDS has been serving as assigned counsel under NYIFUP—a first-in-the-nation program that provides legal representation for indigent New Yorkers in detained removal proceedings at the Varick Street Immigration Court and in New Jersey. Our NYIFUP team secures our immigrant clients' release from immigration detention and defends them against deportation, arguing in immigration court for termination of the case or applying for cancellation of removal, permanent residence, asylum, or other defenses to deportation. Our NYIFUP Practice is currently comprised of a staff of ten attorneys, one paralegal, and two legal assistants.
- Preparing immigration applications, affidavits and other supporting documents under attorney supervision;
- Copying, scanning, and otherwise assisting in the preparation of client application packages for bond, relief from removal, and immigration benefits;
- Communicating with client family members and other community supporters;
- Conducting interviews with clients and their family to gather information, including to prepare draft declarations and letter of support under attorney supervision;
- Retrieving public and private records such as birth certificates, criminal histories, tax records, and medical records;
- Organizing and maintaining files;
- Maintaining information in our case management system;
- Submitting court filings with the New York City area immigration and other courts;
- Conducting country conditions and other factual research;
- Providing additional support to NYIFUP attorneys as needed.
- Bachelor's degree required and prior paralegal or related experience preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and interest in immigrant rights or public interest legal work.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to compose, edit and proof correspondence and documents.
- Must take initiative, be able to exercise sound judgment, be highly organized and detail-oriented, and possess strong time-management skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent use of software applications such as Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Fluency in Spanish preferred.
Applications will be accepted until positions are filled. However, submission by April 30, 2017 is highly encouraged.
BDS is an equal opportunity employer which supports a policy of non-discrimination in all employment practices including, but not limited to, hiring, transfer, promotions, training, compensation, benefits, lay-offs, and terminations.
177 Livingston Street
Brooklyn, NY, US 11201
Employment type:Full Time
Professional level:None specified
Salary:Salary will be commensurate with experience and within the parameters of BDS’s compensation scale.
Language proficiency:Fluency in Spanish preferred.