The Brooklyn Historical Society (BHS) seeks an experienced retail and visitor services professional to lead the department that manages the daily operations of our store and front desk staff. This position is responsible for hiring, training and supervising 2-4 FT staff and a fluctuating number of PT staff; coordinating with numerous BHS departments including facilities, security, finance, programming, and development to ensure smooth operations of the store/front desk for the general public and at events; and managing the growing retail business at BHS's soon to be two locations -- our main site in Brooklyn Heights and our new satellite gallery in DUMBO. This position will play a critical role in the planning of the April 2017 opening of the new DUMBO space.
At an exciting point in the 154 year history of Brooklyn Historical Society, this position offers tremendous opportunity for growth. It reports to the Vice-President of Programs and External Affairs.
- Oversee, organize, and lead a department of 2-4 full time and approximately 10-15 part time Visitor Services and Retail employees, including defining staff roles and responsibilities, team-building, training, performance reviews, and handling disciplinary issues with goal of delivering first-rate customer service
- Maintain the daily operations and continued growth of the Brooklyn Historical Society stores with an eye towards increasing store revenue and expanding the wholesale business
- Work with Finance to maintain sales reports on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis. Reconcile sales data with finance department, assuring impeccable internal controls. Oversee inventory counts 4 times/year
- Create and track departmental budgets and expenses
- Interface with facilities, cleaning, and security staff to provide a top-notch, clean, and secure experience to BHS visitors
- Guide and assure appropriate staffing and inventory levels
- Generate monthly reports and analyses of revenue and sales for BHS President, Vice-President Programs, and Board of Trustees. Maintain statistics on a daily, weekly, monthly and annual basis
- Manage point of sales system including future upgrades and switching to new POS systems in upcoming years
- Plan and oversee the launch of the new store in BHS DUMBO including hiring and setting-up procedures and systems
- Some floor responsibilities, weekend work and expectation that the manager will spend time on the frontlines of visitor interaction
- Plan for growth of the new wholesale business, including creating systems to maintain efficient fulfillment of orders, shipping logistics and excellent customer service
- Planning and growth of original product development by leveraging BHS's vast collection
- Regularly review applications for PT staff positions with the aim of hiring a diverse and talented staff for roles that often have rapid turnover
- Regularly review and improve front of house procedures and policies
- Strategize and plan for on-going excellence of customer service and improved retail business
Qualifications and Requirements:
- 4 to 5 years' experience in retail and service industries
- At least 2 years' experience in a supervisory and hiring capacity
- B.A. degree in retail, business, or related field
- Ability to motivate and lead a large PT staff as well as serve as serve as the key internal contact for other BHS departments
- Knowledge and experience with retail software systems (ShopKeep a plus)
- Aptitude and comfort with technology, software, and data analysis
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong customer service ethic
- Creative team-player who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Quick thinking, trouble shooting and problem-solving abilities
- Museum retailing experience a plus
- Understanding of product development a plus, in particular use of collections for products
Salary commensurate with experience. Position includes full health benefits and paid vacation.
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY, US 11201
Employment type:Full Time
Salary:Commensurate with experience.
Benefits:Position includes full health benefits and paid vacation.