His Holiness the Dalai Lama's new vision for the future of Buddhist study and practice…
Labsum Gomdrub Ling, "The Institute for Cultivating the Three Higher Trainings", is an international Buddhist institute currently in development, which will bring all the Buddhist traditions of the world together, in India the land of the Buddha.
Under expert guidance from His Holiness the Dalai Lama (LGL's Patron) and other great scholars, this vision is being developed into a comprehensive curriculum, which will:
• Build a bridge between all Buddhist traditions and nationalities
• Offer in-depth, intensive intermediate and advanced-level study and practice of all the Buddhist traditions, initially in four root Buddhist language mediums - Tibetan, Chinese, Sanskrit and Pali - as well as English, and eventually in other traditions, such as Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, etc
• Explore the relationship between Buddhism and science, health, psychology, and other religious and philosophical traditions
• Create a truly non-sectarian approach, returning to the texts common to all schools of Buddhism: the Buddha's own words (sutras) and the original Indian commentaries (shastras)
• Follow in the footsteps of the ancient Nalanda Buddhist University, using tools of logic and reasoning to critically examine the teachings and stimulate open debate, questioning and deeper learning
• Be delivered from a modern perspective, taught by a diverse range of scholars and practitioners, all expert in their field
• Be set in a comfortable, modern campus designed to meet the needs of international students – nuns, monks, and lay people of all nationalities and traditions
Your Part in His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Vision...
Currently Labsum Gomdrub Ling is a small, but growing group of international volunteers in need of many more partners, ideas, volunteers and donations to turn His Holiness the Dalai Lama's vision into reality.
Therefore, Labsum Gomdrub Ling is currently seeking ideas and input from members of the community about all aspects of the institute (goals, curriculum, location, publicity, etc.), and invites you to:
1. Learn more about His Holiness the Dalai Lama's Founding Vision at www.LGLinstitute.org.
2. Share your ideas about how to best implement that Vision in LGL's Facebook Discussion Forum -- Your ideas are important and very much appreciated!
3. Sign up for regular email updates via the LGL Community Email List.
4. Tell your friends and contacts about LGL (a sample email is available at www. LGLinstitute.org)
5. Please see www.LGLinstitute.org for information about how to get involved and about urgently needed volunteers and donations.
As LGL builds a large and diverse community of people, each of whom plays a part in bringing His Holiness' vision into reality (from offering one idea or one dollar, to offering full-time volunteer service) it's an exciting time and we hope you'll join us!
For more information and to join the LGL Email List for regular updates…
Facebook Discussion Forum at:
Labsum Gomdrub Ling International Buddhist Community