Friends of Edna's Hospital
ORGANIZATION: The Friends of Edna's Maternity Hospital is a public foundation, founded in 2000 by Somaliland emigres and U.S. citizens to help Edna Adan, a Somaliland nurse/midwife, complete the maternity hospital she was building in Hargeisa, her country's capital. At the hospital she has reduced the maternal mortality rate by 75% while educating nurses, midwives and other health workers. Recently the Somaliland government recognized the hospital as a university teaching hospital. Edna herself is recognized worldwide for her work battling maternal mortality and FGM. Meanwhile the Friends have provided funds for equipment, salaries, and scholarships, and have built as well an endowment fund for the benefit of the hospital of over one million dollars. (Visit the hospital's website at: edna hospital.org.
OPPORTUNITY: To apply your organizational and fundraising skiills in leading an exciting foundation to strengthen and expand its board and operations. The Friends grew slowly and steadily from its beginnings until 2007, when media attention brought a flood of new donors, but also the challenges of rapid growth. Media attendion has continued and is currently increasing. (pbs.org/independentlens/half-the-sky/ and click on "The Stories," then on "Maternal Mortality.") Mpw os the moment for a talented new leader to build on this momentum abnd create a well-organized, effective, enduring organization. There is need for strategic planning, and for the comprehensive policies, procedures and systems necessary to move to the next stage.
POSITION: This will be a part-time consulting position with the opportunity to become full-time with benefits as the organization grows. The Executive Director will report to the board, which currently convenes in Fairfield County in Connecticut. (A part-time administrator reports to this position.) We are looking for applicants from New York or Fairfield County.
- Managing day-to-day finances and operations of the organiation, including bank accounts, investments, the budget, IRS return, donor relations and records, grant-making activity, and reports to the board.
- Hiring and managing staff, consultants and vollunteers as needed.
- Leading the board through the development of a strategic plan, including fundraising strategies to support execution of the plan; and working closely with the board on development efforts, public relations, and financial management of the organization.
- Maintaining and nurturing relationships with all key stakeholders.
- Cultivating new relationships and soliciting institutional funders and individual donors on behalf of the organization.
- Enhancing existing partnersbhips and promoting awareness of the organization.
- Well-organized entrepreneur with a passion for humanitarian causes.
- Seasoned professional with proven ability to lead diverse stakeholders in achieving ambitious results.
- At least three years experience in international development or nonprofit /NGO management preferred.
- Strong track record in nonprofit fundraising.
- Financial acumen, including a clear understanding of budgeting and financial reporting. Excellent oral and written communications skills, including socia media savvy.
- Strong facilitation and negotiation skills--tactful, politically astute, and persuasive.
- Good sense of humor, positive, energetic.
- Bachelor's degree at a minimum, advanced degree in related field preferred.
COMPENSATION: A competitive salary, commensurate with experience.
Date Founded: 2000
Government ID number: EIN411964357
Blaine, MN, 55449-0146, US