Volunteer, Intern or Work with Threads of Peru!
Check our available placements below:
Threads of Peru is a nonprofit or non-governmental organization (NGO) that connects the world to handmade textiles of Peru; helping to preserve ancient craft techniques and empower indigenous artisans.
Threads of Peru educates the world about the unique beauty and cultural significance of the Quechua people and their textile traditions through our website, community tours, and international sales. In so doing, we promote sustainable solutions for economic and social development that contribute to the health, education and well-people of indigenous weavers and their families.
Aside from minimal administration and operations costs, all profits from textile sales are reinvested in the communities themselves, focusing on projects such as weaving capacitation and skill building, family planning and nutritition, self-organization and cultural exchange.
We offer both short-term and long-term volunteer positions as well as internships for undergraduate or recently graduated professionals, mainly on location in Cusco but occasionally for projects available to be worked on remotely. If your skillset doesn't match one of our current listing, we welcome you to contact us and submit a brief proposal for your own volunteer position.
Important for all applicants!
When reviewing applications (volunteer or intern) we follow these general guidelines:
- Acknowledge that we have received your application and confirm that we are able to accept your applications for those dates available.
- After asking any pertinent questions, request an interview over Skype if we feel you are a good candidate.
- If all goes well, offer you a position with dates!
- The position will not be confirmed until we receive confirmation of a deposit on your volunteer fees. This should be done no longer than 2 weeks after the position is offered. However, please contact us if you are in need of an extension.
- Together we will develop your Volunteer Contract, outlining the details of your project, including dates and deliverables.
- Threads of Peru will provide pre-arrival information and orientation, including suggestions on lodging, language classes, etc.
- You arrive in beautiful Cusco! Our team will meet you at the airport, help you settle in and get started on an amazing adventure in Peru!
Why volunteer fees?
We know traveling is expensive but as a nonprofit organization, we kindly request that you help support the growth of our project by making a donation to our volunteer and intern program. Threads of Peru does not take any profit from these fees, which will be instead applied to offering the most exciting and professionally beneficial experiences we are able to provide. This includes the following:
- Airport pickup and orientation in Cusco
- Personalized support and supervision for the duration of your stay with Threads of Peru. A significant amount of time and effort is dedicated by our founders and on-the-ground staff to each project that we hope serves to enrich your professional development and overall experience in Peru
- Access to all of our resources in Cusco, including working from the comfort of our centrally-located office, for which administrative and operational expenses are accounted
- All expenses covered when making community visits, including transport, accommodations and food. It is an opportunity unlike any other to take part in these visits, as the communities are not easy to reach, not frequently visited and culturally unique
- A professional reference at the completion of your project
- Opportunity to work on a dynamic, rapidly growing project. As we do not accept many volunteers or interns, the opportunity for you to make a significant impact and to feel that you have made a difference is substantial!