Right now we don’t have any job openings, volunteer opportunities, or upcoming events.
Log in or sign up to be among the first to know when new openings or events are added!
Growers School is the premiere provider of practical and affordable
organic education in the Southern Appalachians, building a vibrant food
& farming community by boosting the success of organic home growers
and farmers in our region.
Our hands-on training, workshops, conferences and partnerships
strengthen and celebrate each grower’s move towards self-reliance.
Organic Growers School inspires, educates, and supports people to farm, garden, and live organically.
We are building a mutually supportive network of prosperous farmers,
productive gardeners and informed consumers engaged in creating healthy
Our History & Work:
The Organic Growers School is a 501c3 non-profit organization that
grew out of the volunteer efforts of a group of farmers and extension
specialists who, in 1993, gathered to discuss the need for nuts and
bolts, region-specific crop growing information applicable for farmers
in Western North Carolina. From this meeting, OGS was born, along with a
mission to deliver practical information about organic agriculture at a
The first Organic Growers School Spring Conference was held in 1993,
with just over 100 participants. Since then, the event has grown
exponentially. In 2012, 1906 farmers, gardeners, educators, students,
consumers, and chefs gathered from over 18 states and Canada, making the
OGS Spring Conference the largest event of it’s type in the Southeast.
In addition to a successful Spring Conference, the OGS offers
educational opportunities for organic farmers all year long through our
farmer education initiative. CRAFT (Collaborative Regional Alliance for
Farmer Training) in both western NC and eastern TN gathers farmers and
their workers together for peer-to-peer, hands on learning about farm
production and business management. Apprentice Link matches farmers to
farmworkers and offers consultation about structuring labor on the farm.
· Quality and believe that adhering to high standards ensures educational success and participant satisfaction.
· Integrity and believe that care and truthfulness in our words and actions are key to advancing organic farming, gardening, and living.
· Accessibility and affordability and believe that everyone deserves access to information and resources about how to grow organic food and live a healthy life.
· Practicality and believe that OGS’ role is to put useful information in the hands of people striving for a more sustainable life.
· Community and believe that strengthening local
connections between people, food, and land builds our individual and
· Organic farming and gardening practices and believe that they benefit the grower, the community, the consumer, and the earth.
· Growing Food and believe that it empowers us to take more control of our lives and to make our communities more resilient.