Right now we don’t have any job openings, volunteer opportunities, or upcoming events.
Log in or sign up to be among the first to know when new openings or events are added!
The Historical Society was incorporated on March 31, 1965. The charter states its purpose is to study, support and maintain the history of the community and its environs. One of the first projects planned was the marking of residences that were at least 100 years old. On June 13, 1967 the first Century Home was marked with a plaque indicating the year it was built and the name of its first owner. This practice is still carried out today and over 200 homes have been awarded plaques designating their special place in the history of Webster Groves.
The Society's greatest work has been the preservation and restoration of the Hawken House, built in 1857. The house was purchased by the Historical Society in 1970, dismantled and moved to its present location. On October 2, 1971 the Hawken House was formally dedicated and opened to the public as a museum and club headquarters.
Through the years the Historical Society has done much to foster interest in the area's history and encouraged active participation in the preservation of the community.