Dynamic Female Candidate in one of Manhattan's Most Hotly Contested Democratic Congressional Districts.
Have you always longed for an opportunity to get involved with a political campaign from the very beginning? Ever wanted to write position papers, press releases or statements for the next Congresswoman from Manhattan? Interested in doing community relations, event coordination or social media for a phenomenal congressional candidate? If you are a political science major with a passion for politics, a journalism major or a student in any major who's committed to advocacy or interested in the inner workings of a political campaign, the Joyce Johnson Campaign for Congress has a spot for you. Joyce Johnson's campaign has a select number of political internships and volunteer opportunities for talented, enterprising, ambitious students and young professionals who have a passion for politics and are dedicated to creating change.
About the position:
The intern/volunteer will serve as a campaign associate for the Joyce Johnson for Congress 2012 organization. This campaign represents a community of innovative public servants that seeks to learn from, engage, and connect with the community we are serving. The intern/volunteer will work diligently to advance public servant Joyce Johnson to Congressional representative for the United States of America, so that she may speak on behalf of the community she represents and is ready to serve. We are seeking young, dedicated interns who are willing to take leadership in advancing our communities.
- Work with the Candidate, campaign team, and community to increase awareness of the Candidate's campaign.
- Assist in researching, coordinating and planning rallies, fundraisers, candidate appearances, voter registration and other community events.
- Participate in the organization and development of campaign initiatives.
- Develop social media strategy and use social media tools to advance the Candidate's presence within the community.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Project management skills, including attention to detail and meticulous follow-through.
- Solid writing and editing abilities.
- Ability to multi-task, with a track record of meeting deadlines and working under time constraints.
- Work well individually and as part of a team.
- Must be able to commit 15-20 hours per week to campaign activities.
- Be working toward a BA/BS in political science, public policy, women studies, education, health, community development or a related field.
- Gain direct experience in organizing a grass roots campaign.
- Have an opportunity to gain internship/fellow credit.
- Gain the experience of challenging their knowledge on a progressive team that employs collaborative leadership to meet its goals.
What's in it for you?
- Chance to gain Internship credit (contingent on college/university program).
- The opportunity to get in on a campaign from the ground floor and to learn the fundamentals of grassroots organizing.
- The opportunity to watch and participate in the growth of the next congresswoman from Manhattan, and take part in an exciting, transformative movement for change.
- The opportunity to use and strengthen your skill sets in a variety of areas: media relations, social media, organizing, public policy, community outreach, advance work, etc.
- The opportunity to be participate in a collaborative effort.
- A kick-ass time.
Act now if you're interested by sending your cover letter and resume to email@example.com