JED provides after-school care to over one-third of the Janney student population. Students from Pre-K to 5th grade enjoy supervised playground time, arts and crafts, and traditional Thursday bingo games. Parents enjoy the supervised homework time.
Janney Extended Day strives to exemplify these values:
- Safe, affordable, dependable child care. JED is committed to providing secure, reliable and convenient childcare-at a price that excludes no members of the Janney community. Traditionally, JED has been one of the least expensive options for childcare for Janney parents. JED is committed to remaining affordable and offering need-based scholarships, while ensuring we have the budget dollars essential to retain trusted staff who are personally invested in your child's well-being.
- Respectful, relaxed, caring culture. Janney Elementary is justly proud of its profound creed of "Respect." JED reinforces this core value in its rich tradition of caring staff, who know each child and his/her needs and desires for their afternoon time. JED follows the same Positive Behavior Incentive System ("PBIS") philosophy that Janney uses and believes that caregivers should exemplify respect as they guide children in their interactions with others. JED staff work to lead by example, create an environment of respect, model positive behaviors and instill core values in Janney children. JED understands the multi-cultural diverse community Janney serves, and ensures an environment of tolerance and acceptance for all.
- A broad range of stimulating activities that lets kids be kids. JED should be fun for kids, and let them explore who they are socially, physically, artistically and cognitively. JED maintains a range of games and activities for the kids-structured and unstructured-through both the all-star games that the kids have come to love and a steady selection of new games and activities. JED knows that some children (especially the younger ones) thrive on a certain predictability and knowing what the options are and when, while others (like many of the older children) need comparatively more self-directed "choice time." JED's program strives to support the spectrum of interests and needs. Our activities help children connect with their peers and form positive relationships with students outside their traditional in-day circle of friends. We believe all children should have the opportunity to learn the skills of make new friends no matter what their age.
- Foster and extend the educational priorities of Janney. JED seeks to align with the Janney vision and provide a seamless transition for children from the school day through after care. JED builds upon school curriculum, offering activities that tie into teacher priorities. JED teaches kids to do their homework effectively, every day, and without procrastinating. This is frequently one of the bigger struggles a parent faces, and JED provides both the "push"-by having daily scheduled homework time-and the "pull" by demonstrating first-hand the benefits reaped by finishing it early and thereby earning more choice time, both at JED for the remainder of the afternoon-and at home in the evening.
JED is also committed to sound operational practices:
- Financial self-sufficiency. JED operates as a 501(c)3 non-profit, with a zero-based annual budget and a goal of retaining two monts operating expenses in reserves.
- Transparency in policies and finances. JED is run by Janney parents, who are themselves elected by Janney parents. JED holds regular open meetings (at least quarterly) for feedback and new ideas for the program. Are budget and and finances are a matter of public record and are posted in the Finance section of this site.
- Community and child-focused. JED exists to serve the varied and evolving aftercare needs of the Janney community. We work toward providing an aftercare program that serves well the children of the school and the interests of parents. We encourage input from the community and school on how we can improve and integrate that feedback into our future plans.