Nonprofit or community organization
Last modified: April 10, 2009, 7:18 PM
MAMA is a non-profit organization, founded in 1982 to provide a holistic approach to the many aspects of substance use. MAMA felt that the focus on illegal drugs as the "BAD" drugs, gave the false impression that legal drugs were safe and "good". Research showed that in today's society there are high levels of alcohol abuse, prescription drug misuse and abuse, and great harm caused by excessive consumption of nicotine, caffeine and over-the counter drugs.
MAMA has faith that most people will not intentionally cause themselves harm. If people are taught how to make good decisions and provided with accurate information, most will act wisely. We must teach people, especially our youth, the social skills they need to attain satisfaction in their lives, without resorting to substance abuse.
MAMA's approach is based on:
-No matter what anyone tells you, YOU decide if, and how, you will take a drug.
Informed Decision Making
-Learn where to get accurate information and how to evaluate a drug for it's useful and dangerous effects.
Respect for Human Dignity
-Respect people's differences by offering education and help rather then alienating them with severe punitive laws.
MAMA believes we need to:
1. Teach basic drug consumer safety and provide complete and accurate information about all drugs.
2. Teach communication and decision-making skills.
3. Teach parenting skills, so we can raise our children to have a positive self image.
4. Teach people how to plan and implement affordable, fun activities
5. Provide requested treatment for all drugs
6. Provide anonymous referral for help regarding drug related problems
7. Advocate for programs that teach people the social skills to provide for their basic needs, e.g. adult literacy, job training, language classes, and the like.
We must talk to our policy makers and ask them to spend our tax money more wisely, to address these issues and to establish drug policy based on harm reduction.
We must minimize the harm from drug use and drug policy.
-To provide current, scientific drug education to all ages
-To offer social and recreational alternatives to drug use.
-To promote better communication between policy makers, educators, law enforcement, service providers, seniors, parents and youth.
-To question techniques of advertising all drugs and advertising's effects on the entire population.
Mothers Against Misuse and Abuse (MAMA) has no listings.