Posted on April 24, 2015
Mount Vernon, NY, US
Volunteer with us
The International Center for Ethno-Religious Mediation (ICERM) is a U.S. based 501 (c) (3) tax exempt public charity, nonprofit and non-governmental organization working to develop alternative methods of preventing, resolving, and educating people about inter-ethnic and inter-religious conflicts in countries around the world. We work with the State of New York residents and diaspora associations, national governments, judiciary, schools, community leaders, religious groups, peace advocates, media, local, regional and international organizations, etc. to foster a culture of peace among ethnic and religious groups through research, education and training, expert consultation, dialogue and mediation, and rapid response projects.
We are committed to creating a new world characterized by peace, irrespective of cultural, ethnic and religious differences. We strongly believe that the use of mediation and dialogue in preventing and resolving ethnic and religious conflicts in countries around the world is the key to creating sustainable peace.
Specific Programs and Services:
ICERM organizes its work into five
- Research: We create and maintain a global conflict alert database through the conflict monitoring networks, and develop new conflict prevention and resolution tools through the journal of living together, conflict early warning and response mechanism, and other publications.
- Education and Training: We educate people about ethnic and religious conflicts through the ICERM radio project, web-based forums, peace education programs, international conference on ethnic and religious conflict resolution and peacebuilding, world youth convention on ethnic and religious harmony, lectures, sports and artistic activities, peace exchange program, retreats and publications, and we train new mediators and facilitators through classroom and e-learning modalities.
- Expert Consultation: We provide consultation & advisement services, monitoring and evaluation, post-conflict investigation and reporting, election observation and assistance to formal and informal leadership.
- Dialogue and Mediation: We facilitate communication and dialogue through the living together movement, and assist parties to reach a mutually satisfactory solution through unbiased, culturally-sensitive, confidential, regionally-costed and expeditious processes.
- Rapid Response Projects: We provide moral, material and financial support to the victims of ethnic and religious conflicts.
ICERM adopts as its mandate the following purposes:
- To conduct technical, multidisciplinary and result-oriented research on ethno-religious conflicts in countries around the world;
- To develop alternative methods of resolving inter-ethnic and inter-religious conflicts through research, education and training, expert consultation, dialogue and mediation, and rapid response projects;
- To nurture and promote a dynamic synergy among diaspora associations and organizations in New York State and in the United States in general, for a proactive ethno-religious conflict resolution in countries around the world;
- To organize peace education programs for students in order to strengthen peaceful co-existence amidst cultural, ethnic and religious differences;
- To create forums for communication, dialogue, inter-ethnic and inter-religious exchanges through the use of modern technology, social media, conferences,seminars, workshops, lectures, arts, publications, sports, etc.;
- To organize ethno-religious mediation training programs for community leaders, religious leaders, ethnic group representatives, political parties, public officers, lawyers, security officers, physicians, health-care workers, activists, artists, business leaders, women associations, students, teachers, etc.;
- To promote and provide inter-community, inter-ethnic, and inter-religious mediation services in countries around the world, under unbiased, confidential, regionally costed and expeditious process;
- To act as a resource center for mediation practitioners, scholars and policy makers in the area of inter-ethnic, inter-religious, inter-community and inter-cultural conflict resolution;
- To co-ordinate the activities of and assist existing institutions concerned with ethno-religious conflict resolution in countries around the world;
- To provide professional and consultation services to formal and informal leadership, local, regional and international organizations, as well as other interested agencies, in the area of inter-ethnic, inter-religious, inter-community and inter-cultural conflict resolution.
Date Founded: 2012
icermediation.org twitter.com/icermediation plus.google.com/+EthnoReligiousMediation/posts youtube.com/channel/UCntiMLxmoG_pD3XLqQJpXdQ/feed facebook.com/pages/International-Center-for-Ethno-Religious-Mediation/366658360086147 icermediation.org/Mediation/Daf/Blog.html
Roosevelt Square Professional Building, 11 W. Prospect Avenue, 3rd Floor, Mount Vernon, NY, 10550, US