Nonprofit or community organization
Last modified: December 6, 2010, 2:47 AM
Malteser International is a catholic NGO working on social and health issues since 1953. It was founded by the Sovereign Military Order of Malta and the German Caritas. Today, it is one of the biggest welfare organizations in Germany with some 30.000 active volunteers and about 3.700 employed staff.
Malteser International is engaged in humanitarian aid since 1966. The Head office is based in Cologne.
Our objectives are:
- to provide emergency relief in emergency phases, especially in the sector of health and water/sanitation
- to implement rehabilitation and development projects in co-operation with local partners
- to elaborate and realize concepts für linking relief, rehabilitation and development
- to establish and promote primary health care in less and least developed countries
- to care for the social well-being of people in need and to reduce vulnerability
- to support partner NGOs in the South as well as in Central and Eastern Europa
- to provide medical services for UN-Peace-keeping missions