Join us online on March 11 to help launch a new network for action and change.
Nonprofit or community organization
Last modified: October 15, 2013, 9:24 PM
Our mission is to promote and develop collaborative community projects and public education programs that enhance economic opportunities and connect businesses, institutions, and people more fully to their communities, the natural environment, and to each other.
Toward this end, SCI will undertake the following in the Baltimore-Washington Metro Areas:
• Help the business community, local government and the general public develop an awareness of the value of sustainable community development
• Endeavor to combine knowledge (through public education) and action (in the form of community programs) to promote prosperous and healthy communities
• Explore opportunities to develop educational, entrepreneurial and environmentally sound community-based projects
• Develop materials on the efficient use of urban environmental resources and sustainable activities for distribution to local businesses and to the general public
• Conduct sustainability seminars and workshops for a variety of audiences, e.g. financial institutions, housing development organizations, continuing education programs and community organizations
• Participate in efforts to promote more sustainable tax policies and land use codes
• Integrate into all of SCI's undertakings, the fundamental elements of community sustainability: community partnership, community enterprise, community conservation and community design