Nonprofit or community organization
Last modified: February 14, 2010, 5:47 AM
Founded by returned Peace Corps Volunteers, Education Fights AIDS (EFA) International is a community grassroots organization that works to give African youth the skills they need to live positively with HIV/AIDS. The mission of EFA International is to promote the successful future of African children and youth infected and/or affected by HIV/AIDS through education and empowerment.
In order to fulfill this mission, EFA International strives to achieve the following goals:
• To improve the psychosocial development, health literacy, professional capacity, and financial autonomy of African children and youth who are infected and/or affected by HIV/AIDS by:
- Providing educational and employment opportunities;
- Building core leadership values and community through a network;
- Promoting the value of "living positively" with HIV/AIDS while reducing stigma; and
• To inform and engage communities around the world about HIV/AIDS in Africa.
EFA International implements activities in three programmatic domains: (1) the HIV+ Youth Empowerment Network in Northern Cameroon; (2) the Volunteer Service Learning Project in Cameroon; and (3) the Rebero Orphan Center Empowerment program in Rwanda.