Volunteer with us
Nepal is one of the poorest, least-developed countries in the world with over half of its population living below the poverty line. Over 80% of the population relies on agriculture for their livelihood. The majority of the population lives in rural areas that are often very difficult to reach, resulting in a lack of basic infrastructure such as clean water, primary health services, basic food and shelter, communication, electricity service and schools. In order to address the lack of basic infraststure, a team of development workers, including social activists and ex-overseas and national volunteers founded Volunteer Service Nepal in 2009.From the early stages of development, Volunteer Service Nepal has been mobilizing international and local volunteers in various programs, providing relevant training and working experience in marginalized communities, and contributing to overall sustainable development efforts in Nepal. Additionally, Volunteer Service Nepal has developed a school building construction program to benefit some of these communities, which are often desperately lacking facilities.
Volunteer Service Nepal is also involved in supporting some of the more unfortunate children of the country, in an effort to improve their education and development at the grass roots level, by awarding scholarships and sponsorship for primary and secondary schools and strengthening community organizational capabilities. Volunteer Service Nepal has begun a concentrated effort to help develop the managerial and organizational capacities of local institutions, communities, and individuals, to increase the number of self-sustainable improvements through construction, health, environmental and education projects throughout economically disadvantaged areas of Nepal. Volunteer Service Nepal continues to grow, and has currently developed a comprehensive program of providing basic health services, raising awareness on environmental and sanitation issues, and providing girls' scholarships and sponsorships in some needy areas of Nepal.
- Involve international and national volunteers in making a great contribution to the ongoing development process of Nepal
- Encourage volunteerism and voluntary efforts in social and national development and reinforce the capacity and skill knowledge of voluntary development organizations
- Offer support and create opportunities for the poorest communities of Nepal
- Develop the strength and capacity of Nepali youth and children to work towards their Own development and that of the nation on a whole
- Support and strengthen the education system and infrastructure
- Channel knowledge and resources to those who lack access to them
Work with women and children to help eliminate discrimination.