Nonprofit or community organization
Last modified: December 5, 2013, 10:14 PM
After School Matters® is a non-profit organization that offers Chicago high school teens innovative out-of-school activities through science37®, sports37®, tech37®, words37® and the nationally recognized gallery37® programs.
Every volunteer role is designed to match an interested community member with an engaging opportunity to help After School Matters fulfill its mission. While not every opportunity works directly with teens, volunteers and partner staff are encouraged to think of each opportunity in the larger context of After School Matters' mission.
"After School Matters provides teens with opportunities to discover their potential and find their path to a meaningful life."
"To provide Chicago public high school teens opportunities to explore and develop their talents, while gaining critical skills for work, college and beyond."
After School Matters achieves this mission by:
· Designing and delivering high quality, hands-on, project-based apprenticeship programs in a variety of content areas, including the arts, science, sports, technology and communications.
· Engaging skilled professionals as instructors who support teens' growth and development in an intentional and meaningful way.
· Aligning and maximizing the resources of an extensive network of public-private partnerships to support coordinated and sustainable investment in youth development through school- and community-based programming.
· Focusing on continuous quality improvement, data-driven and cost-effective decisions, strengthening skills to encourage improved academic outcomes, and positive impacts for teens, schools and communities we serve.
At After School Matters, we strive to demonstrate and inspire the following professional values, both in our own work and in that of the teens we serve:
· Excellence: After School Matters works to achieve excellence by advancing a culture of responsibility, accountability and sustainability as we continuously enhance both the quality of our program experience for the teens we serve and the efficiency of our operations.
· Teamwork: After School Matters recognizes the value of teamwork among our teen participants and program providers, within our staff and with our extensive network of public and private partners.
· Respect: After School Matters respects, supports and encourages the diversity, talent, creativity, energy and dedication of our teen participants, staff and program providers.
· Commitment: After School Matters is committed to impacting and engaging our teen participants, staff and program providers with meaningful, hands-on opportunities for personal and professional growth, and to positively impacting the schools and communities we serve throughout Chicago.
· Innovation: After School Matters demonstrates innovation and leadership by providing new opportunities and experiences to teens who participate in our programs, and by encouraging our staff and program providers to develop, share and implement best practices in out-of-school-time programming.
Arts , Sports and recreation , Chicago , Career Readiness Instruction , "After School Matters" , Writing , Creative Arts , Network of nonprofits , Teen , Teen / Youth Programs , After School Program , sports , Education . , Science , Youth , Communications , Arts & Education , Job Readiness Training , volunteer , Education , Art , Youth Development , "Gallery37" , Technology